FBL Gyro Spirit pro, integration with Spektrum!

Smoggie

Most people thought FBL integration with Spektrum transmitters was impossible due to perceived limitations of the Spektrum RF protocol but they were obviously very much wrong because the iKon/Brain and Spirit have just released new firmware that supports Spektrum integration. You get full integration that allows you to setup and adjust all FBL parameters right from the transmitter. It works with any of the new generation speky Tx's

Also supported is full ESC data telemetry if you have a compatible ESC. To get all of this goodness you need the latest Spektrum airware update Version 1.20.15 and the Spektrum SPM4649T telemetry receiver. The new Spirit firmware version 2.4.3.4 is still in beta but is available if you email Tomas at Spirit: tomasj@spirit-system.com

Also supported in the new firmware is multi receiver diversity in that you can run the SPM4649T along with two satellite receivers connected to the FBL directly. If you used diversity sats that would give triple receiver redundancy and no less that six antenna diversity!. This must surely be the most reliable RF link in the business and something only available with Spektrum.

So here is my DX18 screen showing the front page of the Spirit setup menu, you navigate the menu using the Tx sticks which takes a bit of getting used to but actually works very well:

IMG_0277[1].JPG

I'm looking forward to giving it a try out tomorrow, it should make tweaking settings a breeze.

murankar

Staff member
I thought specktrum would go after the beastx for their gyro choice. I so hoping it would be beastx.

Smoggie

I thought specktrum would go after the beastx for their gyro choice. I so hoping it would be beastx.

They did, it's a BeastX in the Spektrum AR7210BX flybarless controller.

The BeastX seems to be lagging way behind in terms of telemetry and transmitter integration as it doesnt support either for any brand of transmitter. I think the limitation must be within the BeastX, so nothing Spektrum can do even if they wanted to. The integration technology is mainly driven by the FBL controller, the new Spektrum firmware 'opens up' the Tx to accept integration data but mostly it's the FBL that's doing it. The new firmware will allow any FBL to integrate with the Tx via the SPM4649T receiver, but only if the FBL itself has the capability to do it.

murankar

Staff member
Once the VControl hit the market I thought BeastX and spectrum would merge to make their own integration.

Smoggie

Yeah, I thought that they would at least make integration work between their own Tx and their own AR7210BX FBL.. I can only assume that the BeastX just doesnt have the capability to do it. I notice that on the new '3S' version of the Blade 360CFX Horizon have dropped BeastX technology and gone with their own 'in-house' FBL controller. I'd guess that's about cost as much as anything.

It does seem like a massive own goal that out of the traditional radio manufacturers that make both transmitters and FBL controllers (Spektrum, Futaba and JR) none of them has managed to integrate between two of their own products, yet the likes of Spirit and MSH manage to do it with a whole range of 3rd party transmitters. The great thing is both Spirit and MSH give you this new technology as a totally free firmware upgrade. Some other manufacturers should take note!

murankar

Staff member
Futaba did with the cgy750 and it was the first to be done. It just never took off. I think their marketing dropped the ball.

Top Bottom