Spektrum Spektrum Rx dilemna...which one to use???

Derek

For quite some time now, I've really really wanted a 48" flying wing. FPVTrond, on YouTube, posted a great build video. After watching his video, I decided that now is the time for me to build a wing, too. Following the dimensions that he showed was easy and I made one very similar to this...

FPV49.jpg

My wing is now done and waiting on electronics. I have everything except the Rx. Now...a wing like this will only use 3 "actual channels, throttle, elevator, and aileron. Mix the aileron with the elevator and presto chango....you now have elevons. So, with a setup like this...would it be better to just simply get the 4 channel, AR400 Spektrum DSMX or should I get the AR6210 Skektrum 6 channel DSMX Rx that comes with the satellite Rx? I can easily get either Rx from my LHS. They are very fond of the Spektrum line and always seem to have these in stock.

What do you think???

FPV49.jpg

Tony

Staff member
I would not get the 4ch. Lowest I would go is the AR500, or whatever the DSMX of that one is now. It's a full range Rx unlike the 6115e and has a long antenna. But, it's small and light. However, the 6115e is perfect for a little plane like this. They are made to be a park flyer so you will never go more than 100yds from you with it. My vote is for the lightweight 6115e that has the light plastic case. I have one somewhere, just not sure where...

Derek

I must have overlooked the 6115e some how. I didn't even see it on the Spektrum site when I looked the first time, lol.

You said that you wouldn't go with the 4channel Rx. Even though the AR400 is DSMX, you still say no? Just curious, but why is that?

Tony

Staff member
Because... Hell I don't know lmao. I would just go with a 6ch Rx that way I have the option to run it in something that might have flaps, or a 250 heli, or something like that. I just know that any foam plane that I make, is not going to last long lmao. Just try to plan for the future.

Derek

...just planning for the future, eh? Something like a "just in case" scenario, right??? LOL...I can live with that. it's probably better to have a few too many channels versus coming up one channel short later on. Makes sense to me!

Maybe even a "Pan/Tilt" feature later on, eh?

Lee

Just about to build a new wing myself Derek. Trying to decide which one. I'm leaning towards a copy of the Ritewing Zephyr. I want to use it for FPV. My friend has endless supplies of foam and a hot wire cutter. :D

Derek

That's awesome, Lee! I hope it works out for ya.

I was going through my spare parts earlier and I was shocked at what I found. I found the spare AR600 that I thought I had lost, lol. How cool is that? It's a $60 Rx that I thought I had lost. I guess I'm back in business.....no more dilemna.

Top Bottom