Spektrum Spektrum RX antenna replacement

Lee

After damaging an antenna on my miniquad the other day, I decided to replace it.
This is on an OrangeRX from hobby king.

oyur976P9YoSMvn4BAnIhx5Ilu-F-2T38ZJ84BWIyE8=w1208-h680-no

Step one: Find some wire of the same dimensions as the original antenna. In this case, its awg 24 (a lot of balance leads are this size. I always have some lying around that have been cut from old batteries.

Step two: Cut the new piece of wire to length. The wave length of 2.4ghz is 125mm. The antenna i'm replacing is 1/4 wave length, so I need to cut the wire to 31.25mm.

-4KAuFfR_OpVb2iQ4h-7WDcmvZWsmVNZOOMYGXLiBOA=w1208-h680-no

Step three: Trim of enough insulation to solder to your board. Remove old antenna, and solder new one in its place. Try to use as little solder as possible.
I noticed there is a second antenna pad on this board. Not sure if adding another one will work. I know the newer ORX has two antennas.

8lqKwNfr1cBwk5nKX3NzEnGv4lJs4qKgNNhwPuLHDA4=w1208-h680-no

All ready for action again.
Make sure to do a range check after replacement, to be sure the signal is working correctly.

KBwjNvuaRvQJLkoIJPV8fG_s74n2OoXYn8V6q9yHDOk=w1208-h680-no

Tony

Staff member
Fantastic write up Lee. Did you do a range check on this Rx after the install? What was your distance at reduced power?

Lee

I did a range test before the change (video to come)
Got out to about 400m before it went into failsafe. Video signal was still perfect through my goggles.
I'm charging the batteries now to test again now its changed.

Tony

Staff member
Well that sucks. I have the AR600 in mine, one long antenna and one short and so far, pretty good. Although I don't do the range that you do mainly because I can't. Still a great article with great information. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Top Bottom