450 Spektrum AR8000 Rx Not for Heli?

CAMSS

I spoke to Spektrum support about a throttle issue I'm having. I have the DX8 G1 and was told by the tech that the AR8000 wasn't for heli's. Is this correct?

Smoggie

No, that's nonsense. The only 'issue' with the AR8000 is that it doesnt support single line output like some of the latest receivers do, so on a flybarless heli you would have to wire it conventionally with a wire for each channel (no big deal). I've personally used an AR8000 on a heli as have many others without issue.

So what problem are you having with the throttle?

Jimbo

I am using an AR8000, with the Naza-H FBL in an HK Assault 450, with no problems at all.

Jim

CAMSS

No, that's nonsense. The only 'issue' with the AR8000 is that it doesnt support single line output like some of the latest receivers do, so on a flybarless heli you would have to wire it conventionally with a wire for each channel (no big deal). I've personally used an AR8000 on a heli as have many others without issue.

So what problem are you having with the throttle?

When I bound the Tx and Rx the throttle worked as far as turning off and on. After installing in the Rx in the heli, everything works except the throttle. I calibrated the throttle which appears to work per the 450L manual.
I have a DX8 G1 Tx. Ail servo reversed, swash Pit at -34, Throttle and pitch curves 0,25,50,75,100
Trex 450L Dominator and 3GX controller.

Smoggie

A few things to check:

Is the throttle plug the correct way around?
Are you sure that you calibrated the throttle correctly? Did you get the arming tones at the end of the calibration process?
Is there any movement at all from the motor (twitching or pulsing)?

Photos of your wiring may be helpful

Admiral

Has your AR8000 been in a crash ? I had one a couple of years ago that worked fine until an unfortunate incident with the ground, everything still worked after that except for the throttle.

Broke my heart to throw it in the bin, I have another on the same age that is still going strong.

Tony

Staff member
The only reason I can think of that they say it's not for a heli is because of its size. The 8000 is quite a large receiver.

CAMSS

Has your AR8000 been in a crash ? I had one a couple of years ago that worked fine until an unfortunate incident with the ground, everything still worked after that except for the throttle.

Broke my heart to throw it in the bin, I have another on the same age that is still going strong.

This is a new one. Hope its not defective.

CAMSS

A few things to check:

Is the throttle plug the correct way around?
Are you sure that you calibrated the throttle correctly? Did you get the arming tones at the end of the calibration process?
Is there any movement at all from the motor (twitching or pulsing)?

Photos of your wiring may be helpful

From what I'm reading in the 450L manual, I'm receiving the correct tones. I plan on contacting Align on Monday so they can hear the tones and verify.
Yes, I've noticed every once and a while the motor twitches.

Connections between AR8000 and 3GX respectively:
BND/DAT to ESC
AUX 1 to PIT
AUX 2 to Gain (Sensitivity). Tried the GEAR channel as well.

AR8000.jpg

Smoggie

I'm no expert, but on mine the ESC goes to the throttle. The bind port is left open.

Jim

+1.. the ESC has to go to the throttle connection, that's without doubt your problem. The bind/data port doesnt give any channel output so the ESC isn't receiving any signal.

CAMSS

There's a single wire throttle harness that goes from the 3GX to the AR8000, where would this harness go if I used the throttle channel for the ESC? I'll connect the ESC to the throttle channel and leave the one from the 3GX disconnected and see what happens.

Top Bottom