Spektrum Spectrum DX6 battery settings

Derek

Hi all! A buddy of mine has a Spektrum DX6. During a visit with him today, he mentioned to me that his DX6 would go dead after a short period of time. If I remember right, the tx came with a NmHd battery pack. He bought the 2000mah Spektrum LiIon replacement battery. He told me that he changed the battery setting, in the DX6, to Lipo and he doesn't understand what's going on. I asked if I could borrow it and I'd take a look at it to see if I could find something amiss. Shortly after getting home, I checked the battery....it is indeed a LiIon pack. I checked the battery settings, in the tx, it was set to LiPo...just as he said it was. However, there is a setting for LiIon. I imagine this is the culprit that is causing him grief. Now that the battery setting, in the DX6, match the battery, I imagine that the issue is resolved.

My question is this...he's been running the DX6, with the LiIon pack on LiPo setting for many months (6+ months). Do you imagine that there has been any damage done to the LiIon battery that will cause future grief? Should we replace it, just in case? Or, do you think everything will be fine and the world will continue to spin?

Lillyryan

Personally I would charge it and then see how long the battery lasts by just rolling around in the menu and wiggling the sticks. If all seems fine go fly

Derek

He might have damaged the pack, I'd figure those settings are there for a reason.

I agree...those setting "have" to be there for a reason.

Personally I would charge it and then see how long the battery lasts by just rolling around in the menu and wiggling the sticks. If all seems fine go fly

Since I've got his DX6 here with me, I think I'm gonna do what you suggest. I'll go ahead and get it charged up. Then I'll scroll through the menus...wiggle the stick....leave it sit (powered on)...wiggle the sticks more and scroll through the menus more and just see what happens.

Thanks for the replies!

Smoggie

My guess is that the LiPo setting puts a sets the 'battery depleted' threshold to a higher voltage, as is required to protect a LiPo from over-discharge. This probably explains why the battery is shown as running down prematurely.

This being the case no damage will have been done, the battery will have been 'over protected'.

murankar

Staff member
I was thinking that the battery setting in the radio is for the voltage thresh holds. I dont think anything changes in the radio other than what you see on the screen. I believe the radio itself has a wide rang of voltage input. So like I said I think it only changes what the radio sees for low voltage and current running voltage. If his battery is not holding a charge its either a bad battery or a memory got set in the battery.

Derek

Ok, thanks guys! I can't mess with the dx6i much today because I have to work but it sound it might be just fine.

Appreciate the replies!

Tony

Staff member
LiIon has a lower overall voltage than LiPo. The nominal voltage is 3.6 vs the 3.7 on the LiPo. And you can discharge a LiIon to about 2.7 VPC before you start to damage it. However, they have the same 4.2 VPC like the Lipo so in no way can you hurt the LiIon by charging it as a LiPo in the DX6. But having the DX6 set on LiPo would cause premature warning on battery voltage if the threshold was set too high on LiPo. Meaning, it would give the warning very soon (one flight) and make you think there is something wrong with the battery. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom