General Sparks flying!!

concodd

Have ordered the Castle Creations Phoenix Edge 160HV 50V 160amp ESC as suggested now just have to wait until it gets here.

Tony

Staff member
That is a perfect choice! If I remember correctly, those have a logging function so if you ever have an issue, you can look at the log and see where the issue came from. Let us know when you get it.

I do have to ask one thing though. You have flown a helicopter before, right? I mean, a 700 is a huge helicopter that can be lethal.

pvolcko

Lee

The reason you fried your cables is because the ESC is a Low Voltage ESC Hobbywing Platinum-150A-PRO Brushless ESC
Only rated for a maximum 6S.
The Goblin Requires 12S as you have set up the batteries in the photo.
So you need to by a High Voltage (HV) ESC like the Castle 160HV or another good one is the Scorpion 130A HV
You may be lucky that the wire fused, because it may have saved your ESC from damage.

concodd

I have flown helicopters before, but nothing of this size, believe you me I will be taking it very slow. quick question, is there an easy way to pop those gold plug fittings of the motor other than brute force, now that I have to pull things apart to get the fused ESC out.

Tony

Staff member
If you are talking about the bullet connectors, pulling is your only option. If they are really tight, that is a good thing lol.

concodd

I ordered an sbec before I had all these problems, I got a Hobbywing YEP 20A HV(2-12s)sbec w/selectable output. hope this is going to be ok??

Westy

LEGEND
That is a monster of a motor lol. And you will definitely want to run that on 12s. With that said, my suggestion for ESC is something like the the ESC linked below. You have a LOT of money tied up in that helicopter, and I know you don't want it all to go down the drain. I'm sure others will help you out with suggestions as well.

Castle Creations Phoenix Edge 160HV 50V 160-Amp ESC [CSE010-0103-00] | RC Helicopters - A Main Hobbies

I totally agree with Tony on this ... i have the SAB Goblin 630 and blew my YEP 120amp 12s rated ESC .... now run a Castle Creations Phoenix Edge 120AMP HV ..... you will need the 160 for the 700 - 770 class heli.....

See my videos on callibarating the tX to the ESC .... especially if you are running it in governor mode ... (Highly Recommended for stability of head Speed).

Cheers

Tony

Staff member
Here is what I found out about the motor he is running. This thing is a MONSTER!!!

Each of the new HK-4525-520KV ULTIMATE motor is wound with a single strand of 1.4mm wire for the highest possible efficiency. This motor is capable of running continuously at an input power of 4450 watts at 100 amps, and can handle peak inputs of 10200 watts and 230 amps for 2 seconds

Specifications

Stator Diameter 45 mm (1.77 in)
Stator Thickness 25 mm (0.98 in)
No. of Stator Arms 12
No. of Stator Poles 10
Motor Wind 5+6T YY
Motor Wire 1-Strand 1.4 mm
Motor Kv 520KV RPM/Volt
No-Load Current (Io/10V) 1.75 Amps
Motor Resistance (RM) 0.012 Ohms
Max Continuous Current 100 Amps
Max Continuous Power 4450 Watts
Weight 503 Grams (17.74 oz)
Outside Diameter 56.7 mm (2.23 in)
Shaft Diameter 5.98 mm (0.24 in)
Body Length 53.4 mm (2.10 in)
Overall Shaft Length 91.5 mm (3.60 in)
Max Lipo Cell 12s
Max Peak Current 230A (2 seconds)
Max Peak Power 10200 Watts (2 seconds)
Motor Timing 5 to 15 deg
Drive Frequency 8kHz

Westy

LEGEND
YEap ... it is a beast all right! ..... thus I would still recommend the CC Phoenix Edge ..... very very simple to setup .... and good quality

concodd

Yea Westy, I will need help on the general side of things as well, I may well be at a standstill for a week or more until my ESC arrives, things move pretty slow in Thailand. There are no clubs around here and I have not found anyone else who is in to the hobby so I will be depending on this site for a lot of things. Cheers..

Derek

There are no clubs around here and I have not found anyone else who is in to the hobby so I will be depending on this site for a lot of things. Cheers..

I can assure you that the people on this forum will gladly help you out to get your model in the air. No doubt! Depend on us as much, and as often, as you need. Just don't ask for financial donations, lol...I think I have about $6.00 on me...ugh! Anyway...good luck with your progress!!!

concodd

Hi People,
Boy! this is slow going, have just received my Castle Phoenix ESC and have installed the power connectors for both battery and the motor. I think my UBEC is coming by camel as that has not arrived nor has the servo tester so that I can centre my servo's. Is there anything that can be done while I am waiting? my 2x6 cell lipo's are still in storage charge as is a 3 cell lipo that I got for doing the servo centring. Should I charge them up now or wait until I can progress further? Have not even touched my TX yet, that needs to programmed also.

Top Bottom