Something I've noticed....

Derek

I have recently hit 100 posts on this forum. It looks like I'll be staying around for a while, lol. I've really enjoyed coming here for help and I've even found myself giving appreciated help to some new comers. Awesome!!!

I did notice that since I've hit 100 posts on the forum, the title or label below my name has changed. Are there "benchmarks" to be reached to have this change?

I've also noticed that several people here have "TAILDRAGGER" below their names, as well as "AMA MEMBER." What is the significance of the "TAILDRAGGER?" I am not, currently, an AMA member nor do I know how to do so but I would be very interested in learning how. How does a rookie, such as myself, go about getting AMA membership?

...and lastly....something else that I've noticed.....RCHELP.COM ROCKS!!!!!

Have a great day everyone!!!

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
lol ... Well cant comment on the AARP part.. hahahaha!! that was funny..

those are just tags if you have a tail dragging plane... then you get the Tail dragger TAG..

If you have AMA membership. .WHICH IS HIGHLY recommended for anyone doing RC Planes or helis or anything air in the US.. that is more also just insurance.. they insure any losses caused by your model to anyone or thing when flying in a AMA approved field.. Good to have! and its just one of those things cause they support different causes for this hobby.. do different charitable things and have much more to them than just being insurance.. its a CLUB..
but .. go to

http://www.modelaircraft.org/

if you are in the US... become a member.. costs 40 bucks for a year.. well worth it!

- - - Updated - - -

breeze and i posted about the same time .. lol :D

murankar

Staff member
:lmao:

Tony has different permissions setup based on post count. He also has different titles for a members who meet the post limits. At this point you should be able to edit your posts and a few other things.

AMA is American Modelers Association, it is a yearly membership and "open enrollment" just passed. You cans still apply but you will still pay the full year price even though you will not get the full 12 months. The AMA provides you with a voice at congress and also provides you with liability insurance, with your newest project I would consider this highly.

Since you fly heli's too you could look at IRCHA, but you need to be a member of the AMA first. IRCHA is the International Radio Controlled Helicopter Association. IRCHA has a great pit crew book for beginner and advanced pilots. That program if completed and validated by the appropriate personnel you could be a certified IRCHA pilot. Its been a while since I been to there site so I dont remember all the details, those are what I believe to have read. I would visit it and find out for yourself.

Tony

Staff member
Actually AMA stands for Academy of Model Aeronautics. But whos counting :chuckles:

Derick, I have it set where the more post you have, the more privileges you get. When you first joined up, you were put in a group where you couldn't post to the blogs or for sale section. at 50 posts, both of those open up to you as well as you could use avatars. If I'm remembering correctly, now at over 100 posts, you can edit your posts, upload larger avatars and can put a picture in your signature. There is a limit on the size of the sig pic though.

I think the next ones will come at 500 posts and 1000 posts. At 1000 posts, you pretty much can upload the same size images for avatar as I can. I do this because I"m limited on server space and bandwidth and each picture takes up both resources.

As for "taildragger, AMA Member and Warbirds" groups, these are joinable groups. Click on settings at the top of the forum and on the left side, click on Permission Groups. In there you can select what you are into. If you own a tail dragger, you can join that group. If you own a warbird like the P-51 and such, you can join that one. If you are an AMA member, you can join that one.

I have it setup so members can do it themselves. I trust them to be honest about it. If I find someone that is in a category they are not supposed to be in, I will send them a PM that I have removed them and log who they are. If they do it again, they will perminantly be put into the lowest usergroup. This site was built on trust, and I think it should be a two way street. But, I'm not that strict lmao.

It's just a little something to keep the forum fun. The dedicated members of the forum will have more privileges than the ones that just joined up and rightfully so. You have to thank those that stay on here day after day.

Derek

cool! Got it! I have a scratch build taildragger. Haven't flown it yet, but I have one. Then think about the big plane that I"m working on....just trying to keep it "PG" rated, we'll call it a taildragger, lol.

I'll definitely be looking into the AMA membership. My wife and I went down to Muncie, Indiana this year to the IRCHA 2012 event. My chin was on the ground the entire time. It was just an absolutely amazing experience. HELI'S EVERYWHERE!!!! It was a mass-plague of heli's and we are already planning on going again in 2013.

I, too, am not gonna comment on the AARP comment, but I did enjoy the laugh. Thanks Whirlybird!!

Thanks everyone for helping answer my question.

One more (go figure, lol)...what are the lil green marks for under our names? Everyone that has commented here only has 1 green mark and Tony has several. Is that an ownership perk?

Tony

Staff member
That is a reputation marker. If you mouse over them, they have a saying with them. Each time you get a thanks or user rep increase, it adds to that. Once you get so many, you will get another little green thing. I have so many because yes, I'm the owner and an admin, but also because I can edit the count in my profile hehe.

Derek

lol, I just hovered over my lil green thing...it says "mountaindewdude76 is on a distinguished road" that's great!!!

Top Bottom