Soldering Station Solutions

Hey guys
I want to upgrade my soldering setup.
Been using stick guns for awhile but want a decent station.
For the most part I want to be able to solder small components to boards and such without toasting anything but in the same breath I want something that will heat up things like EC3 battery bullets enough to melt solder and able to bead up a 10 to 12 Guage wire.
Pretty much anything that would involve RC type equipment, quads, planes, ect.
Price range...under 120.
Something that will last me a while.
What do you guys use?
Why?
Experiences?
Do's and Dont's?
Thanks

Tony

Staff member
Bro, I"m using a Hakko 936 and have had it for years. The only issue I had was I didn't have enough heat and while soldering batteries, I broke the handle by pushing too hard. Not a problem one out of the iron or base unit. And with replaceable tips, you can get as wide or thin as you want, they just screw on.

There are knock-off's of the Hakko's out there, but they are just that, clone crap IMO. I have been meaning to get one and try it out, but just can't see dumping that kind of money on something that will just be put on a shelf. My suggestion, get the real thing and get a Hakko. Mine ran about a bill about 8 years ago or so.

Yea the 888 is the upgrade to the 936 I believe.
Is yours analog? If so then I think it is.
I've read nothing but good out of the hakkos since I started researching.
Have had eye on 888 for a few day's.

ok 2 more questions
1 are all hakko tips interchangable?
2 whats the most popular solder to use in RC
I have been using Bernzomatic Electric Solder SRC050
Says its silver bearing rosin core

trainrider06

ok 2 more questions
1 are all hakko tips interchangable?
2 whats the most popular solder to use in RC
I have been using Bernzomatic Electric Solder SRC050
Says its silver bearing rosin core
Hi Clayton, not sure about tips for that iron, but the Rosen core solder is what your supposed to use on electronics.
A lot of things about soldering as far as equipment goes is a personal preference. But I don't think the above mentioned
Solder station your gonna go wrong with. As far as EC5 connectors goes I use a Bakers torch to heat the connectors up with. I tin the heaver gauge wire with my cheapie Radio Shack variable adjustable solder iron and a flat iron tip. Works like
a charm! Whatever brand iron you use, I'd suggest using the flat tip it holds heat better, for the bigger jobs like heaver gauge wire.
Here's a couple of handy tools also....
image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Tony

Staff member
That is a pretty good deal. You are going to love it. I have not found anything that I can't solder yet. As for solder, I use 60/40 rosin core solder from radio shack. Always have.

Yea I thought so.
Tips range between 5.50 and 6.50 so at 6 each that's 42 in tips alone. The site (US site) had the stations for 89.99 apposed to 99.99 normally so I essentially paid 25 bucks for 7 hakko brand tips...so overall I saved about 20 bucks giver or take plus change.
Seen similar deal on ebay for 150 but even still 115 beats 150 to death.
Can't wait to start soldering again lol.
Like a freaking kid in a candy store [emoji13]

Tony

Staff member
I know what you mean. I have wanted to get a new soldering iron, but just can't see why with mine working so well. In fact, I'm fixing to have to bust that bad boy out and so some soldering on this new quad that showed up today. It needs some modifications!

Tony

Staff member
Nope, this one came RTF from our new sponsor. Product review video coming this weekend if we don't drown with this storm heading our way...

Tony

Staff member
As much as I want to post my conclusion of this quad right here, I think I should wait until the video to reveal what I think about it. I will say this, it's pretty darn stable! Trying to decide if I want to put it up against my 250 quad...

trainrider06

Now I want a new iron! Hehe...(I only have 3!) one is a cheapie, one an old Weller that I got from my dad after he passed, and works great still, and a variable watt Radio Shacker that I bought last year. It works great cept for some reason it eats
up tips....I think it's getting too hot have noticed that instead of setting it on 40, set it at 30 and it won't toast em. Set it on 60, and boy it gets hot!

Tony

Staff member
Make sure the first time you heat it up, you tin the tip real well then wipe it off on the damp sponge. This will make your tip last much longer.

Tony

Staff member
You don't want to leave it on. The rosin will eat the tip. u I u always want to wipe it off. I have don't this to mine for 8+ years and it's still perfect.

Top Bottom