Motors Soldering and bending of motor leads

stokke

So I'm about to mount the motor on my Agile. But if you look at the picture below, the leads are pointing downward, but I will need them to point upwards. After examining the leads I can conclude that they are not leads at all, but the end of the motor windings sticking out. Is it safe to bend these?

I tried flexing them and they seem to be soft enough to bend all the way, but could there be a chance they might get damaged?

P1030343.JPG

Also, I'm not sure how to go about soldering these wind-ends. I doesn't seem like a good idea to solder bullets directly onto these, so I thought I might solder on some wires/leads. Do I lay the leads flat on the windings and just solder? Do I braid it on before soldering?

Ideas?
Suggestions?
Facts?

EyeStation

The more solder connections you put in line, the greater the overall resistance will be.
I see no need to worry about soldering your bullets right to the colored leads that are coming out. The windings are pliable, but do not take repeated bending well, being solid copper wire.
If you got a heat gun, you can heat up that heatshrink area and pull the wires upward. the heat will allow the heat shrink to bend easily. once in position, hold them there while it cools back down.
If you were to solder extension wires on, you do not have to twist and/or braid the connection prior to soldering. You can lay it ontop of the windings, just make sure you get good solder flow throughout the overlap.

pvolcko

Yeah, soldering the motor leads can be tricky. Personally I'd extend the esc side instead of the motor side, if any extension is necessary. Didn't the motor come with male bullets already soldered on?

stokke

Thank you very much Dave!

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, soldering the motor leads can be tricky. Personally I'd extend the esc side instead of the motor side, if any extension is necessary. Didn't the motor come with male bullets already soldered on?

The reason for soldering on extensions are plainly to get the bullets to fit (bullets are a bit big for the motor leads, but fit perfectly on ESC leads). But based on Dave's advise I'll just solder the bullets on to the motor leads.

No, there were no bullets included with the motor.

Thanks Paul

Lee

The bullets came ready soldered on my Scorpion motors.
I bent my cables up, no worries. Its not like you are bending them over and over.

stokke

The bullets came ready soldered on my Scorpion motors.
I bent my cables up, no worries. Its not like you are bending them over and over.

Yeah, it would have been much easier if the bullets have been on there already. But I can solder some bullet connectors, no problem!
Thanks for the clarification about bending the wires.

By any chance, do you know what size bullets were used on your motors?

Thanks a lot, Lee

murankar

Staff member
One thing about scorpion, they went with solid core wires. They found that the motors perform better.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

stokke

I think they are 4mm, but for the 700, 5 or 6mm would be better.
4mm on mine. Unless you're pushing 160A+ continuously 4mm would be fine.

I'll be using the 5.5mm's as there is NO WAY the 4mm's will fit the large leads coming off of the 160A ESC. I realize the motor probably won't draw much more than maybe 90-120 amps, but cutting down the ESC leads to fit 4mm's is not an option.

Thanks

One thing about scorpion, they went with solid core wires.

I'm experiencing this first hand :D LOL
Now let's hope I don't brake the wires when bending them!

Top Bottom