General Soldering 10ga wire

Derek

There isn't a specific place for soldering questions but since my question pertains to my helicopter, I'm posting my question here.

I have some 10 and 12 gauge wire, on my Trex 600e Pro DFC that needs to be soldered, as well as the connectors needing soldered to my batteries. I've tried soldering the ends with the soldering iron that I have but I'm starting to believe that my soldering iron just isn't good enough for this heavier wire. It's certainly not a high quality soldering iron. I think it got it from my local department store.

Can someone give me a link or two to some higher quality soldering irons or give me some tips for soldering this thicker wire and connectors? I've done the soldering already but I just don't feel confident that the soldered connections are good enough.

BAdair

I have a 60watt from a lhs and have done ec5 bullets on 8ga wire with it, it took (forever) but it worked and wicked in good.
I have seen a 100watt at Hobby Lobby for about $40. if you have a hobby lobby in your state it is with the glass art section not soldering I think it is for making leaded windows or something but is the same as a soldering iron and they have extra tips for it.
Main thing is keep it clean and the carbon build up off and the tip tinned, the carbon builds up and the heat won't transfer, but if your iron is only a 25-30watt I don't know if it will do it. I had a 25watt before my 60 and it was junk!

Derek

Thanks for the reply, Matthias! Something like you suggested is a bit out of my price range. However, I may just have to grab some overtime and get a soldering station like you suggested. If I'm going to continue with this rc "obsession" (lol), I may as well spend the extra cash on a quality soldering station.

Thanks Badair! I do have a Hobby Lobby near me. I'll take a look there.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
I use the Hakko 936 and I will never use anything else. No matter what I need to solder, this thing will do it.

Tony

Staff member
I should also mention, there is a certain way you solder large wire. I will have to do a quick video showing you how I do it that has worked every time. Never had a failure and it doesn't wick up the wire. But, you will still need a GOOD soldering iron or station. I suggest a station.

pvolcko

For the heavier guage stuff I actually use a mini torch. Heat up the connector, well some molten solder in it, carefully dip the wire into it letting it sit with some heat still on it for a few seconds. Usually the first time the solder will wick into the very end (basically tinning the wire end). Let the wire cool (key point, if you jump to the next step too quick then you may end up wicking more solder up the wire). I pool a little bit more solder into the connector cup and dip it again, just enough time to get the tinned end molting and then pull the heat and hold it all still for 15 seconds to cool. Works well, doesn't wick a ton of solder. Only down side is that if you press the wire into the cup too quickly it will overflow the solder and more or less ruin the connector (fills in the snap ring on EC5).

Lee

I feel your pain Derek.
Trying to solder thick wires with an inferior iron, had me cussing and thawing my toys out.
I have been using a solder gun these last few weeks. No worries on power with those :)

Derek

I do have a very good soldering gun that I like very much. I was just afraid that I might mess up something on my helicopter. I have a few other projects that I've used the soldering gun for, with great success, but none were as important as my 600 and the wiring on the 600.

Would I be ok to use the soldering gun?

murankar

Staff member
Kind of thought those prices would be to high. Weller is a top brand and those are station style which is what you should be looking at. With it being a station you can adjust the heat to just about any level so that you only need one iron with multiple tips.

Derek

Kind of thought those prices would be to high. Weller is a top brand and those are station style which is what you should be looking at. With it being a station you can adjust the heat to just about any level so that you only need one iron with multiple tips.

Yeah, I may just have to start shopping around for a good soldering station with variable temps.

Derek

Thanks a lot guys for the suggestions. I'm working tonight but I'm hoping to stay home tomorrow and shop around for a new soldering station. I appreciate the help!

Top Bottom