Chargers Solar charging for the RC Hobby test one

murankar

Staff member
Today I finally got out to fly. I got 1 flight before I had to leave. I started the session off with one 12s 3000mah stick pack at 30% capacity.

My setup (for those who don't know) is a Revoletrix PowerLab 6 with a bump controller. My portable power source is two 6v golf cart batteries at 227 amp hours each. They are tied in series for a 12v system.

I got the charging station plugged in and my power supply was sitting at about 12.6 v approx. I set the packs to charge in parallel at a 2C rate (I think is what I have normal charge set for). Once the bump controller was set I pressed start and let her rip. The charge cycle hit 11.6 amps for about 10 minutes and then stated tapering off. The complete cycle was about 20 minutes. Once the load phase was done the battery bank settled back at 12.5v.

As for my power supply (according to the solar charge controller) dipped to about 11.7 v during the major load time. The batteries didn't even loose their chill from the 50℉ day. None of the cables got warm sonic think I can get more out of it. I would like to see if I can hit the 17 amp mark. I believe I can Max the batteries at 20 amps sustained.

Going back out tomorrow to give it a shot again.IMAG0940.jpg IMAG0941.jpg

Smoggie

Nice setup Uri,
So where does the solar bit come in? Is solar just used to top the batteries up between flying sessions?

murankar

Staff member
The solar part is just that. To keep the batteries charged . I have not dropped the voltage low enough to see how long it will take to charge back up.

Smoggie

So I'm guessing that charge right out of the back of your SUV? The weight of those huge lead acid batteries (about 60Kg?) would be a big problem for me because at the place i fly most often I have to walk a couple of 100 yds from the car to flying site. Maybe i should try to find somewhere where I can get the car closer as it would be great to have the option of field charging.

murankar

Staff member
120 pounds total. It was an idea. As for the vehicle it's a cross over. More of a car than an SUV.

Plus I use the system when I go camping. It supports my kids night time entertainment.

Tony

Staff member
That is awesome that it all worked as planned. Now we just need some video of you doing everything. Do it, DO IT NOW!!!!! :chuckles:

And this system would be awesome to go out camping with. My kind of camping anyway. Tv, some movies, a computer with a hotspot for interwebz.... Yea, this could work lmao. Until the batteries died at night that is lol.

murankar

Staff member
So far it's a success. Now to see how it handles a full day of flying.

I want to see how long it takes to get to 10v on the deep cycles .

Tony

Staff member
Fantastic setup. Wish that bump controller was compatible with the iCharger... I like that thing.

murankar

Staff member
I was enjoying the portable power yesterday for sure. I have a strong feeling that this setup is going to be my permanent setup.

Just based off of 6 cycles in total and with where my power bank is sitting (12.1v) right now I could easily get a full day at the field without the panel being with me. Until I get a full day of back to back charging I won't know for sure .

The only other thing is that if I allow others to charge off my system then I may need to bring the panel with me.
One positive is that the flying field is a huge open soy/corn field. This season should be corn.

Tony

Staff member
Someone needs to trade me my icharger for a PL lmao. I want to play with that bump controller....

Tony

Staff member
It's a fantastic charger, does everything I could want it to do. Just can't put a bump on it lmao.

murankar

Staff member
I am sure it is Unfortunately I like my pl6. I wish it was a pl8 but then again I don't charge 8s packs.

Top Bottom