SOB

Tony

Staff member
Yep, saw that one coming. Next, we will have to get a full pilots license, but with restrictions, like you can't actually fly a real plane.... Another reason why I'm kind of losing interest in this hobby. It was fun when we could have fun. So was watching NASCAR. Add a butt load of regulations and requirements.... not so much fun anymore.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Yep, saw that one coming. Next, we will have to get a full pilots license, but with restrictions, like you can't actually fly a real plane.... Another reason why I'm kind of losing interest in this hobby. It was fun when we could have fun. So was watching NASCAR. Add a butt load of regulations and requirements.... not so much fun anymore.
FUN :party: It's what you make of it :).

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
What bothers me is how in earth did we get throw in with those who fly drones? All the RC Helicopter guys are on top of their game, good pilots and I follow their example, When I fly, am harder on my self to ensure that all rules are in place. Talk about social distancing. Use to fly at the school yard early in the morning, don't any more. Lucky I have a large backyard that's enclosed and can also fly on my son's property that's several acres. And he flies scale. Knew it was a manner of time when big brother had us in his cross hairs too. Notice at Hobbytown USA in Virginia Beach, Va. they quit selling RC helicopters. Carry a few drones and planes but going big time in RC trucks. Couldn't get together with my friends because of Covid 19 crisis and now this. Real bummer.

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
And Tony please don't lose your interest in the hobby, since you put so much into it. Think I mention earlier your forum is what motives this soon to be 73 years young.

Tony

Staff member
My interest in the hobby is definitely separate from the website. I will do what I can to keep the site running. I have actually been doing some server testing playing around with some configs to try to make the forum a little more responsive. Also, I brought back the articles that had been missing for almost a year. So definitely don't worry about the site.

As for me, eh, sometimes you need an extended break from a hobby to get to know just how much you enjoyed it in the beginning. I still have all of my stuff sans the iCharger 306B and a couple other odd's and ends that I had to sell in 2019 to pay a bill or two. All the helicopters are here, quads, planes, all still here.

The bug will bite me eventually, and when it does, I have some things lined up that I want to put in the air.

As for the FAA lumping us in with quads, they are all UAS's to them. FAA could care less about the "skill" it takes to fly a helicopter over a quad. They just care about forcing the masses to do something due to the faults of the few asshats we have in this hobby.

As for HobbyTown, I spoke to the owner to the one we have a few years ago when he was selling out of his Align stuff (and I purchased almost all of it lol), he said it is easier to sell a car/truck or quad because they are easier to control. Planes and the next easiest, but they received complaint after complaint about building an Align 600 and crashing it bad enough to require a rekit, and the customer blaming the hobby store for not accurately portraying how difficult helicopters are to fly.

Basically, it comes down to what is easier to fly/sell, not what has the best challenge to learn to gain that awesome sense of accomplishment when you finally fly a circuit, or do a loop, or do your first inverted hover. People just don't want to work that hard anymore, they would rather let the little computers do all the thinking for them...

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
You are so right Tony about no one wants to work anymore :emomad:. Seems like the wonderful world of electronics has made it to easy for everyone. Most induvial prefer to take the easy way out rather then use their noggin. It's sad but it's the new norm. No such thing as common sense anymore...Just common stupidity :2c:

Admiral

We have been lucky in Australia CASA (our FAA) has separated model planes & helicopters from multi rotors, they may have tightened up the enforcement of the rules a bit but if you were doing the right thing before you don't really notice. Sombody worked out that if a hobby has gone along without problems for over 100 years it should not be penalised because of new developments.

Tony

Staff member
Keith, that is what we need here! Unfortunately, getting back to the whole "take the easy route", our government just blankets everything rather than itemizing. Sure would be nice for heli/plane (planker) pilots to be able to do what we have done for years without being punished because someone crashed a quad into the side of a building, or into a car on the interstate.

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
One of my friends who lives in Canada last year told me how the RC Heli guys are catching pure hell. The government there has put so many restrictions it's not funny. The same problems we're experiencing here and he lives in rural Alberta where there's plenty of space. Tony I understand where you're coming from about taking a break. I've been there and know the feeling.

Blade 400

One of my friends who lives in Canada last year told me how the RC Heli guys are catching pure hell. The government there has put so many restrictions it's not funny. The same problems we're experiencing here and he lives in rural Alberta where there's plenty of space. Tony I understand where you're coming from about taking a break. I've been there and know the feeling.
My Canadian Heli mentor is very P*SSED OFF about the new reg`s too James

Blade 400

I know where you`re at Tony ;) I played Cornet for several local Brass Bands for donkeys years and became disillusioned. I had a career change that took me abroad and I was asked to join a Little Big Band (light jazz) - whilst there were many similarity's and still essentially `MUSIC` it was a different style! It was so much more laid back, I found it far more enjoyable. It felt fresh as the music was easier, so I was mostly always relaxed, I did encounter some new challenges - having to play improvised solos without music - that got my mind working and heart racing :biglaugh:
I hope you don`t mind me making a comparison on the present RC situation as I see it as a beginner imho, I can only comment on RC Heli`s as that`s all I have.
I`m in favour of regulations, as I served a recognized Aerospace engineering apprenticeship where safety was paramount and I completely understand how important safety is with RC Heli`s. It`s tragic that authorities have put us in the same group as mindless idiots who fly Drones recklessly and dangerously, but I do realize that they had to do something in order to prevent any more serious incidents. Going for a blanket test for all was the easy option, I`m not too concerned about the current test, having watched the video.
On the future of RC Heli`s, I like the new technology. My FBL Heli is easier to fly and setup and I really like the OMP M2 with its advanced technology - It`s great for beginners like me and still has incredible performance - I know a lot of advanced pilots are considering purchasing one.
Please don`t give up, as I and many others have and still are gaining so much from you and you`re incredible website - I`m following you`re head setup and 450 clone build video`s right now :notworthy:

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Blade 400 your remarks were spot on. We RC Heli pilots I feel are in a catch 22 situation. Many of us try to follow the rules and be good stewards of the hobby. All of us started from the ground up, learning everything from aviation mechanics & avionics to flight theory. We also have a vested interest ensuring our birds react and preform as a real helicopter. Glad I listen to those who told me the correct way of doing something is so important. That video from John Salt hits home like a bomb, especially when he talks about where you can fly without violating one of many restrictions.

Blade 400

Blade 400 your remarks were spot on. We RC Heli pilots I feel are in a catch 22 situation. Many of us try to follow the rules and be good stewards of the hobby. All of us started from the ground up, learning everything from aviation mechanics & avionics to flight theory. We also have a vested interest ensuring our birds react and preform as a real helicopter. Glad I listen to those who told me the correct way of doing something is so important. That video from John Salt hits home like a bomb, especially when he talks about where you can fly without violating one of many restrictions.
Thanks James. It`s good to know that I`m on the right lines having a more experienced pilot like yourself concur with me :thumbsup: As you say, people that have always followed the rules and adhered to the correct way of doing things are now the people caught up in this! People aren't taught to the same standards these days so they don`t have the same integrity. I hope we don`t all end up flying in our back yards, I`ll have to abandon my 450`s and just fly the Blade Nano :bellyroll:

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
I guess the area I live in (Virginia Beach, Va) has a decent track record. Maybe it's because there is a major military base "Oceana Naval Air Station". It's a master jet base that's home to all fighter planes that keep their air craft carriers in port at Norfolk Naval Base. While on final seen them as low as 500' above my home. I live within 2 miles of the runway. And the Virginia Beach Police Department Helicopter Detachment enforce the 400' ceiling. There was a RC airplane flying club that sometimes would push the limit. Well one bright shining day, not a cloud in the sky, got caught. Everyone was having a grant old time facing south and didn't see or hear the VBPD Bell 206 coming out of the north. BUSTED ! The police copter landed near them and the cops gave them a warning. The bird shut down just to make a point and watched. Not only were they flying above 400' but the air station is less that 3 miles away. Oh, also they're a chartered club with the AMA. After that close encounter they now fly several miles south on a farmer's field that's vacant. I know there are quads in the area but have yet to see one. But as we all are aware of news reports of quads/drones in restrictive air space of airports, structures, sporting events and the list can go on. Guess we're lucky than some parts of the nation, but as everyone has mention it only takes a few bad apples to ruin it for the rest of us. And Blade 400 keep the faith about your 450's.

Blade 400

I guess the area I live in (Virginia Beach, Va) has a decent track record. Maybe it's because there is a major military base "Oceana Naval Air Station". It's a master jet base that's home to all fighter planes that keep their air craft carriers in port at Norfolk Naval Base. While on final seen them as low as 500' above my home. I live within 2 miles of the runway. And the Virginia Beach Police Department Helicopter Detachment enforce the 400' ceiling. There was a RC airplane flying club that sometimes would push the limit. Well one bright shining day, not a cloud in the sky, got caught. Everyone was having a grant old time facing south and didn't see or hear the VBPD Bell 206 coming out of the north. BUSTED ! The police copter landed near them and the cops gave them a warning. The bird shut down just to make a point and watched. Not only were they flying above 400' but the air station is less that 3 miles away. Oh, also they're a chartered club with the AMA. After that close encounter they now fly several miles south on a farmer's field that's vacant. I know there are quads in the area but have yet to see one. But as we all are aware of news reports of quads/drones in restrictive air space of airports, structures, sporting events and the list can go on. Guess we're lucky than some parts of the nation, but as everyone has mention it only takes a few bad apples to ruin it for the rest of us. And Blade 400 keep the faith about your 450's.
Interesting stuff James and too true, it`s always the minority that spoil things for the rest of us! I was only joking about ditching the 400`s and 450 ;) I just meant I only have a very small back garden should restrictions escalate - I`ll be forced to fly my smallest bird :)

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
I know you were joking, just had to throw that in:nevreness: My backyard is a decent size but with a shed, elevated decks (2) and tall trees, hovers & small turns for a 450 size is all I can really do. Might have to lower my throttle control a little. Perfect for smaller heli's like 250's and a Blade Nano. Just had a thought. Wonder if the school district would let me use a gym during the summer break. Seen on the internet some that do, an option we all can explore. The worst thing is they say no.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
As for flying in schools or near them here in Florida, you better not get caught near a school after all those school shooting they had a few years back. They wont just say no but more like, "Can you please come with us!" :chairshot:

Blade 400

I know you were joking, just had to throw that in:nevreness: My backyard is a decent size but with a shed, elevated decks (2) and tall trees, hovers & small turns for a 450 size is all I can really do. Might have to lower my throttle control a little. Perfect for smaller heli's like 250's and a Blade Nano. Just had a thought. Wonder if the school district would let me use a gym during the summer break. Seen on the internet some that do, an option we all can explore. The worst thing is they say no.
I would love access to a Gym, my flying would be great by now if I had no wind and rain :bellyroll: It`s worth asking James. My local flying is outside only and they only fly planks! (not that they aren`t good fun too)

Top Bottom