Batteries So whats better

heli-maniac

So what is better
Lets say between a 5100 mah 35c 6s or a 4500 mah 65c 6s
I ordered 2 of the 5100 and got 1 and the other is the 4500 65c

pvolcko

Do you actually need almost 300A of current from your battery (4500 65c) at any given moment? If you're pulling insane 3D, maybe. The practical benefit of the 65c battery will probably be longer cycle life over time, as long as you're willing to abide by the shorter flight time the 4500mah will afford vs 5100mah.

4500mah will probably be lighter too, which can give you an edge on flight performance.

Depends on application and what you're looking for. Personally, I prefer longer flight times and don't need crazy power delivery for my current skill level, so I'd go with the 5100/35c. I've been flying 5300mah/35c epbuddy batteries and 5000mah/30-35c turnigy batteries for my big birds.

heli-maniac

Well they mist boxed the 4500 in a 5100 box
And just found out my charge will not go to 5100 just 5000 And I dont want to fork out more money for a new charger

Stambo

And just found out my charge will not go to 5100 just 5000 And I dont want to fork out more money for a new charger

Any charger will charge it if it is capable of the voltage. (6s capable) It will just take longer for higher mah.
With a 5100mah battery the most you would likely be putting back in is around 4000 unless you discharge it way too much.
The more important specs are amps and voltage. The 5000 limit in your charger is more likely to stop you from overcharging, just like the time limit.
What charger you got?

Tony

Staff member
"Better" is a relative term. The 5100 will give you longer flight times but the 65c will give you MUCH more current draw capacity. 178 vs 292. I would test them out and see what one has the better balance in the heli and go with that one.

heli-maniac

I had talked with Mike at ProStar and they are both 5100 35c packs
Long story short he gets them with dummy labels on them and mist removing it

Tony

Staff member
Ah, in other words, he rebrands them as his brand? I think most people do that, Gens Ace, Blue, Turnigy, I'm thinking they are all the same cells lol. It's just that some test higher than others.

One way to test this is to fly them until the LVC kicks in. It will discharge the batteries to the exact same level. Then charge them and see how many mah it puts back in. If you are putting roughly the same amount back in, then you know what he says is true.

heli-maniac

No its not a rebrands sticker it has the 5100 sticker under the heat shrink He said they put the dummy sticker over them for shipping from overseas

xokia

When and IF you reach the 5000mAh limit just click stop and then start again. That limit is really to prevent overcharging a smaller battery. I think mine was configurable default was 5000 if I remember correctly.

That should not make you buy a new charger. What made me buy a new charger is the length of time it took to charge. My 4 port 100w per port charger took forever to charge 6S 5000 mAh batteries. I ended up purchasing a 2 port 400w per port charger and now my charge times are 20 min at 6S about 3.5C

I always buy the highest current rating batteries that I can afford at the time. Usually 65C they will run cooler and have a lower ESR then lesser rated batteries. But the C ratings are somewhat arbitrary anyway and depend on the manufacturer to put the correct label on them. So I just buy from a company I have experience with and buy the highest rating they carry. Which currently I buy the nano_techs but I wanna try the revolectrix soon I have heard they are pretty good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom