Prop Snow issues?

sarconastic

OK, I have my Rc Help trainer almost done, and mother nature goes and dumps a crapload of snow on me. So instead of postponing the flight for better weather I of course started researching skis for the plane. The wife thinks I am nuts of course. Then I showed her the transmitter glove, and that sealed the deal. Anyway. My concern is moisture of course. none of the electronics I have are water tight or designed for it as far as I know. I know the majority is inside the bird, but snow flies into very small places. And the motor is right out in the open anyway. My concern is I will smoke all my new stuff if I decide to fly outside, but I know people do it all the time. I have a spare motor and esc and battery for that matter, but would rather not cook anything. Any tips, Ideas? thoughts...am I an idiot? I don't know if I can wait for spring now.

Woody

Tony

Staff member
Other than the electronics being ruined, the paper on the foam board will start to peel and the plane will come apart. I would wrap the whole plane in packing tape to keep the water out of the foamboard. As for the electronics, short of getting things that are water proof, you are taking a risk and you are the only one that can make the decision of flying or not.

Derek

Well, I'd like to say "No, you are not an idiot!" I think this is a genuine concern.

I have flown my planes in the snowy weather before and I haven't had a single issue because of something getting shorted, or "cooked" as you mentioned above. The issues that I have had is hard landings due to pilot error. However, I have had many many flights, in snowy weather, and some smooth landings, too. If snow does get into or onto the motor, or other electronics, just blow the snow off and move on. If you use the nose as landing gear, like I do from time to time, just blow the snow out of the motor. Maybe dry it all off with a blow drier when you get home and just keep an eye on it. Be sure to keep the bearings oiled.

Honestly Woody...I think you'll be fine. Take your RCH Trainer out and go have some fun! Take an extra battery or two and the video camera, too. Just go and have some fun!

I wish ya the best!

sarconastic

Thanks for the replies guys. Some food for thought. I gotta get the plane completely finished and them figure out what I am going to do. Gotta say the skis in the Skies sound fun to me lol.

Woody

Top Bottom