ESC Smoked ESC anyone :)

Stambo

I just flashed some Hobbyking blue series ESCs with SimonK firmware.
Unfortunately with the first one I did not notice that there was 2 different 30a blue series ESCs.
I flashed the wrong firmware for the ones I have and hooked up to my receiver.
I calibrated the throttle, got the right beeps and throttled up to see almost instant smoke.
Lucky I only did 1 and had ordered 5. Did a bit more digging and found the 2 different versions.
For future reference I will look more carefully at the ESC table and pictures to confirm what I have.
The next ones were a little more successful. :)
I should have followed my own advice and kept the smoke catcher handy so I could put the smoke back in. :)

It's amazing how much difference this firmware makes.
I will now only use atmel based ESCs that can be flashed.

Karubah

Well, there you go. I thought that all servos could be flashed with Simon K firmware. Didn't know that it can only be flashed to certain models of esc. Mine came already flashed, by the way how do you flash a servo?

Stambo

Karubah

Damn, I'm getting Old Timers Disease. I knew you were talking about ESCs, why I typed servos I don't know. I'll check out those links. Thanks

Tony

Staff member
Damn, I'm getting Old Timers Disease. I knew you were talking about ESCs, why I typed servos I don't know. I'll check out those links. Thanks

haha, you said servo twice, and right in the middle, you said ESC. I think we have all been there.

Karubah

Hell Bells, looking at how to flash Simmon K firmware and its not for me. I'll just get the ones already flashed. Me and computers don't really get along very well. Thanks once again.

Stambo

Hell Bells, looking at how to flash Simmon K firmware and its not for me. I'll just get the ones already flashed. Me and computers don't really get along very well. Thanks once again.

First one was the hardest, now that I know to double and triple check that I have the correct firmware I can do a set in about 10 minutes.
That saves me about $5 per ESC so $20 saving in 10 minutes is a pretty good hourly rate in my book.
And I gain a certain satisfaction in doing it myself.

- - - Updated - - -

Video or it didn't happen :biggrin1:

I'm not gonna smoke another ESC just so you can see it happen and laugh at me. :)

Or do you want a vid on flashing them.

Tasajara

LOL.... too much smoke... Yep the wrong firmware will kill an esc. You have to make sure what type Fets are on the board, N-channel MOSFETs or P-channel MOSFETs putting firmware for P-Fets on a N-Fet esc = smoke or even the Caps popping.
One thing that would help to not smoke them in the future would be to test will a lower voltage. Don't hook a 3s battery to the esc and it may save the esc if it was flashed wrong , that is if it don't spin up. Use a 2s or less just to test.
Don't worry everyone that has flashed an esc will do this once if you are not careful. I popped the caps on mine, sounded like a lady finger going off... Boy it did make me jump.

But now the pre flashed ESC's are so cheap I just buy mine.. The Newest HK has to offer was designed by Simonk and timecop, that combo should make for a good multirotor esc.

Link: Afro ESC 30Amp Multi-rotor Motor Speed Controller (SimonK Firmware)

Last edited:

Stambo

LOL.... too much smoke... Yep the wrong firmware will kill an esc. You have to make sure what type Fets are on the board, N-channel MOSFETs or P-channel MOSFETs putting firmware for P-Fets on a N-Fet esc = smoke or even the Caps popping.
One thing that would help to not smoke them in the future would be to test will a lower voltage. Don't hook a 3s battery to the esc and it may save the esc if it was flashed wrong , that is if it don't spin up. Use a 2s or less just to test.
Don't worry everyone that has flashed an esc will do this once if you are not careful. I popped the caps on mine, sounded like a lady finger going off... Boy it did make me jump.

But now the pre flashed ESC's are so cheap I just buy mine.. The Newest HK has to offer was designed by Simonk and timecop, that combo should make for a good multirotor esc.

Link: Afro ESC 30Amp Multi-rotor Motor Speed Controller (SimonK Firmware)

Yeah I seen those, AFTER, I ordered my last lot, but I will still probably stick to doing my own.
I have the hobbyking flashing tool so it takes less than 10 minutes to do a set.

In the future I will put a light bulb in series with the battery.
That way if the bulb glows bright I know I have a problem.
That's what we do in the automotive field when looking for short circuits.
Saves a lot of fuses. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom