General Small Tear In Heat Shrink

Yesterday evening I was fairly proud to have successfully soldered my first xt60 connector to my ESC. However, there is a slight tear in the heat shrink tube.
IMG_20190816_073034751.jpg
I'm not bothered with OCD so I guess I can live with that, but I'm a little concerned about safety.
I'm wondering, do you consider this to be safe to fly with? Or is there some way I can repair this tear? Or do you advise to resolder the joint with a new heat shrink tube?

Thanks for any advice.

Tony

Staff member
Only way to repair it is to cut it off and do it again. Since it's on the outside, it's not as much of a danger, but if you have carbon fiber around, and it touches it, it will likely ground out. Carbon fiber is electrically conductive. If it were me, I would redo it. Only takes a few minutes. But, my OCD tells me to do it as well lol. For your application, you could just wrap some electrical tape around it and call it good.

Admiral

I'm with Tony I would replace it, however I have repaired similar where to replace would have meant removing the frame from a body by using Duel Wall (x4) shrink and slitting it along it's length then wrapping it around and applying heat, it's got mastic in it and it bonds to itself. While it is still hot use a knurled handle to make sure that the edge seats down properly.

Thank you for your advice. I have cut the heatshrink, unsoldered the wire and redone the soldering with a new heatshrink. It also gave me some extra solder practise :)

Top Bottom