General SLOW TAIL WAG, and a caution for new tail slider

orbi

Hi Guys, although im not really a beginner im flying 450 helis for 2 full years now and I love the challenge of rooting out why my heli behaves this way and that and how fine the adjustments are etc.

My Pro 450 has had a new dual tail slider that is supposed to work better. I had a crash and refitted new boom and mainshaft and feathering shaft etc. I set it all up perfect on the bench, made sure of the operation and direction of the slider and gyro when I moved the tail etc all working fine. On the test flight the heli would want to spin and I couldnt control it with the sticks L or R. I checked it and saw the tail slider had stuck, so I redid everythin and it worked perfect till I flew it again, it jammed up again.
That when i noticed a slight wobble on the tail bar/ rotors so I replaced it and the bearings.

Everything is great, but now I have a problem the tail is "slowly moving side to side"about 4 inches. its not what youd call a proper tail "wag"Ive balanced the blades, checked the mainshaft again, tail servo has been overhauled with new gears and my settings are still the same in my radio so im kinda stuck.

Any ideas?

Slobberdog

sounds like you still have something binding there, make sure the tail rod guides are straight and the whole system is silky smooth

orbi

do you know, I cant get the new slider to work perfect everytime silky smooth, the slightest pressure against it makes it jam, does this make sense, it like ultra smoothe but if i put my thumb against the sllder it will jam hard up and kinda locks on then releases again. mmmm maybe I should dump it, like £30 and its just 2 months from new, it sucks.

I usually 90 the horn then remove it from the tail servo, this way I can feel if there's any binding at all when I move it the full travel on the slider...

I also have a little servo tester I got off eBay, often use it to make sure the servos aren't sticking, it operates in manual and auto mode and has a centre position on it...works a treat..

Hope you get it sorted

orbi

ahhhhh I might have got Slobberdog !

I pulled off the tail rotor holder but left on the slider and arms , it was like silk !!! I noticed that one blade grip was loose, give a good tighten up put it back together and hey presto! it s beautiful now , no locking on , perfection. I recon that jamming on could have wrecked my servo if I hadnt have caught it in time.. cheers buddy !

and of course thanks to you Blackwarrior !

Last edited:

Slobberdog

great to see you caught it, it only takes something small for these things not to work perfectly,

orbi

I didnt realise how important those slider to blade grip arms were,... like those guys are so sensitive ive known them to lock ,so I guess I need the servo "travel "adjusted to just less than tight up or just before lock up.

thanks again guys.

Slobberdog

if this is 3gx or any fbl controller I would not recommend you using travel adjust, it can do screwy things with fbl systems

I'm not sure if this will help, but "tail wag" is a well known problem with the Blade SR...the very bane of my existence right now! lmao We were able to almost eliminate it with electronic adjustment of the gyro settings in the tx during hover.

Heard of others having success via "gain" adjustment knob on the gyro itself? Being a "newbie" and have yet to own a 450, I'm unsure if this will even qualify for your problem? Just thought I'd give you my "two cents" worth...

Best of luck with your problem!

Top Bottom