Quad Sky Matrix

phil

Hi,

I am new to this hobby, my goal is to learn to fly a quadcopter so that in the future I can get one large enough to carry my GoPro camera. I had a Syma X1 that appeared to be defective so I returned it. I was thinking of replacing it with a 6-axis quad but while I was searching I say saw an ad for a Sky Matrix quad in a cage. Does anyone have any opinion as to whether or not a Sky Matrix would be useful in learning to fly a quad?

Phil

pvolcko

Sure it would be. Any of the new micro quads out there will be useful for learning hovering and positional control, while staying in a budget and minimizing damage to items in the home or area you are flying. The only downside is that they can be a bit twitchy, often come with crappy remote controls, and aren't generally powerful enough to fly outside in even a slight breeze. If you're purchasing for indoor flight training and are willing to deal with the transmitter and twitchiness, it should be great. If you can learn to fly it well, when it comes time to fly something larger you will be amazed at how much more stable the larger multi-rotors are.

If you want to try some camera work on a small learning platform, you may want to look into a Helimax 1Si quad. On the larger side of the micro quads, it is stable, the transmitter is a decent size, and has a camera on it with video and photo capability. It's a little pricey, but good value for what it is.

Stambo

You could also check out the V222 from Banggood. It is cheap, relatively crash proof and you can get a version with a camera. I have the V959 which is the older version, the V212 is 6 axis so even more stable.
They can fly inside at low rates and can handle a reasonable amount of wind once you get competent with it.
Although you only get a small transmitter, it has the ability to switch between 4 different rates.
The camera is ok for the price but it is not HD.
For $68 US with free shipping it's pretty good value too.
I have larger quads but I still fly these little ones on a regular basis.
I have spent over a thousand dollars at Banggood and still have not had a problem.
Just don't expect it to arrive over night. The free shipping takes up to a month.
Or you can upgrade your shipping at a cost.
If you get one I suggest a few more batteries, the one it comes with is just not enough.
They have a 5pack for about $20.

Lee

The micro quads are almost bullet proof without the need for a cage.
I see the cage as protecting people and furniture rather than the quad itself LOL :D
Not sure how the cage will affect the control of the quad.
I really cool little quad i flew the other day was the Hubsan X4. Very stable. You can get it in a camera version as well.

39581_0.jpg

H107C-22.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom