Simulator TX or My own TX on a dongle?

Tony

Staff member
RealFlight 7 is getting ready to be released. You still need to use their Tx, but you can do what is called a "Pass Through" to use your 7s. Phoenix, you MUST use your DX7s as it does not come with a Tx. Most of the people on this forum have Phoenix and they get online quite often to fly with each other.

Tony

Staff member
Oh that's right, some have the DX5 and the newest one has the DX6i, which is a KILLER deal. Thanks for that. Forgot all about those.

Stambo

I prefer to use my own tx as it makes you more familiar with it.
I use this as it makes for a really simple hookup with phoenix and it is wireless. You need also a receiver for your tx.
I guess this is up to the individual but that's my thoughts on it.

Derek

I definitely prefer to use my own Tx. That's really why I haven't bought the Realflight sim because of that tx that comes with it and you HAVE to use that one. I just don't like the feel. I love being able to use my DX8 or DX6i on the Phoenix Sim. Just awesome!!!

Thank you guys for your support and reply, actually I prefer using Simulator Cable on my Own TX but, I am not sure if my TX will get damaged because of heavy using or not! I am thing of getting this: USB Simulator Cable All in One but as you can see it Compatible with XTR, AeroFly, Phoenix, G5, FMS, so if I update RF from G5 to G6, should I buy another cable?!

Regards,
Moe

Thank you for your support and reply, actually I prefer using Simulator Cable on my Own TX but, I am not sure if my TX will get damaged because of heavy using or not! I am thinking of getting this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__20964__USB_Simulator_Cable_All_in_One.html but as you can see it Compatible with XTR, AeroFly, Phoenix, G5, FMS, so if I update RF from G5 to G6, should I buy another cable?!

Regards,
Moe

Yes, you have to use the RF Tx, however, it comes with a cable so that you can use your Tx. Spektrum or Futaba.

Tony

Staff member
All of us on here use our own Tx. I use a DX8, Derek uses a DX8, Stokke uses a DX7s and we do not have a problem. You MUST use the cable that is provided with Phoenix, otherwise it will not work.

murankar

Staff member
If you are looking at rf g6 I would hold out a tad longer till g7 comes out. If you happen to get g6 then rumors have it that g7 will be a small upgrade fee.

Stambo

All of us on here use our own Tx. I use a DX8, Derek uses a DX8, Stokke uses a DX7s and we do not have a problem. You MUST use the cable that is provided with Phoenix, otherwise it will not work.

Unless you use this and a receiver. :)
Will work with almost any transmitter and it is wireless.

I've even tried it with the little bangood WLToys transmitters.

Also works with Realflight apparently but I have not tried it.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
You still must have the cable that came with phoenix, it has the key in it that activates the software. And just to be clear to anyone, if you are using a hacked copy of any software, please do NOT post that you are doing so here on this forum. We will only support and help those with legal copies of the software.

Stambo

You still must have the cable that came with phoenix, it has the key in it that activates the software. And just to be clear to anyone, if you are using a hacked copy of any software, please do NOT post that you are doing so here on this forum. We will only support and help those with legal copies of the software.

I have a legal copy, and the original dongle, I just prefer the wireless option.

Thank you Tony for the info,

What is the average ideal duration of using the TX a day to save it from damage? Also, appreciate if you share with us your review about using Phonix, is it easy to use? Does it have a plenty of models? Does it make you feel that you fly a real RC Plane? :angel:

Regards,
Moe

Tony

Staff member
Phoenix is a great simulator to use to get to know how an aircraft is going to react. If you are like me though, you have a completely different feeling when you go outside and fly for real. As for using the Tx, I never really thought about it. There are people that use it all day every day and have for over a year.

pvolcko

I agree, flying real life is significantly different, both in terms of aircraft response and also, for me, depth perception. I have a very difficult time hovering and judging distance on the sim. So I use it to get a feel for how a maneuver is supposed to go, train for different bail out options and recovery from things going wrong during a maneuver, then use a cheap model (for me the 300X) to test and practice in real life.

I use my Tx with it. I personally don't worry about the hours I'm putting on it with either the sim or real life. For me the decision is a matter of wanting to train using the real Tx switch positions, Tx expo/DR settings, etc. I try to setup models on the SIM as close as I can to real life models I fly, and using the real TX and its settings allows me to transfer over to a real heli more quickly.

Thank you, Tony for your answer and support, and thank you, guys for your support, I am really happy to join you guys on RC-Help Group! Sounds like you are a Spektrum Fan like me :positive:

Regards,

Moe

Phoenix is a great simulator to use to get to know how an aircraft is going to react. If you are like me though, you have a completely different feeling when you go outside and fly for real. As for using the Tx, I never really thought about it. There are people that use it all day every day and have for over a year.

Top Bottom