600 Shimz

trainrider06

Is it ok to place a shim between the main gear and lower bearing block instead of on top to get pinion and gear to line up?

trainrider06

Reason I ask is a buddy of mine has a 600L kit that he bought new, and the pinion gear is sitting above the gear quite a bit....well more than I'' used to, mine always sit level, but he's having a time of it to do so.

Smoggie

Odd, I have the same heli and the pinion on mine is dead level with the bottom of the main gear. I'm not really understanding where you are talking about placing the shims but there should be a thick shim/thrust washer in-between the main gear and the auto gear, if that wasn't fitted the main gear would sit too low.

Some photos might help.

trainrider06

Yeah its weird, all my Aligns have been right on the money but this one he is putting together for some reason the pinion is sitting past the main gear. I am afraid by the looks of it that it sits too far past where the main gear is gonna be into the area of the grub screw. Thought maybe a bearing block upside down, or as you said the washer was not installed. But he says it was and the blocks look to be correct. Wondering if somehow the motor mount is possible upside down, but I think those only go in one way don't they?

- - - Updated - - -

Here are some pix...
600 gear.JPG600 gr 2.JPG600 gr3.JPG

600 gear.JPG

600 gr 2.JPG

600 gr3.JPG

Smoggie

ok, I understand now. I used a shim on mine as you suggested, between the lower bearing support and the main gear. I also have a small gap between the bottom of the pinion and the support bearing.

Smoggie

I'm not quite getting this part of what you said.....you mean the support bearing of the motor and the bottom of the pinion?

A (very) small clearance between the bottom of the pinion and the top of the bearing which supports the end of the shaft... this raises the pinion slightly. He could put shims in there if the pinion had to go up further.

Nade

Hey guys,

Since I found your thread I figured I'd update you both here. Turns out it was in fact with the pinion gear. Unfortunately in order to remedy the "problem" I had to remove a side to access the pinion. Thinking it was an adjustment with the shims on the main shaft, since the kit gave me two different sizes, I tempted the make the adjustment there, and because the motor shaft relief for the pinion set screw was very small I didn't think that would make up the difference.

To resolve the issue after removing the side, I removed the spacer from the top bearing of the main shaft, then moved the pinion up the motor shaft as far as the relief would allow. I didn't need the shim on the main shaft. After seeing it all in perspective it is very simple, obviously. My only complaint at this point is in the manual. The foot note in the manual should be on a page or two earlier, not after you have the frame assembly completed. Unless you have specialized tools, which really is not necessary, you don't have room to access the pinion to loosen or tighten the set screws once the frame sides are assembled.

For me the easiest way to set the adjustment of the two gears is to install the motor, mount & pinion, and main shaft bearings to one frame side. Position the main shaft and gear in its bearings, then make the height adjustment and shim placement at that time, then attrach the second frame side and confirm their position. Had the foot note about the required position of the gears been on the page with the assembly of the frame you could be prepared to make the gear adjustments.

Fortunately in the end all is good! Thanks to both of you for all your input!

trainrider06

Ah glad you got it settled Rick! I'm not familiar with the 600 couldn't you have removed the motor to check and set gear positions? I usually mount the main gear and shaft making sure there is no slop, then position the motor and check alignment of the pinion and shaft. This is not possible on that heli?

Nade

Ah glad you got it settled Rick! I'm not familiar with the 600 couldn't you have removed the motor to check and set gear positions? I usually mount the main gear and shaft making sure there is no slop, then position the motor and check alignment of the pinion and shaft. This is not possible on that heli?

Ha ha, I thought you might ask that. I should've explained this too. The motor has to be installed onto the mount first because the screws go into the motor from the bottom of the mount. I found with both frame sides installed there's no way to get the motor in position between the frame sides by tipping, tilting or twisting because the motor's wires were in the way and I didn't want to chance damaging them. Nor was I able to adjust and tighten the pinion gear set screws properly after with both frame side in place. I tried! With a frame side out of the way you can do all that needs to be done to set up both gears very easily.

You can see in the pictures where the motor mount screws into the bottom and how tight the motor sits in its location at the top between the frame sides.

IMG_1206.JPG

IMG_1207.JPG

trainrider06

Oh, bummer! Sounds like motor choice will need to be planned for many flights. If you had it completely together that woulda been a real pain to take apart

Top Bottom