Quad shaky video

rchelipilot

When I hover in ATT GPS mode there is still some shaking as you can see it the video.
Could this be caused by the throttle gains?
Very noticeable at 4:00.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
Seems to me that one of your cyclic axis gains is too high. I would lower the gains a bit and see if that fixes anything.

Lee

Yeh maybe reduce the aileron gain a touch. But its pretty stable. Mine is really bad at the moment due to failing motor bearings. Hoping santa will fix that :D

rchelipilot

Thanks guys, I'll adjust the cylic gains some more........when it warms up a little. In the mean time Lee, maybe I'll lube the bearings lol. A couple weeks ago, got a bottle of Scorpion motor bearing lube.

Tony

Staff member
What you just said there could be an issue. Not likely, but could be. Make sure to acclimate the quad to the outside air temp for about 15 minutes before flying. Drastic temp changes can cause issues with the gyros.

Stambo

I would have a real good look for vibrations etc.
Listening to the audio at some stages it sounds a bit like a balance or bearing issue.
As we know, vibrations can really upset a gyro.
I know with my quads the difference before and after balancing props can be huge.
Also I balance my props on the motor using a laser and mirror.
Can take a bit of messing around to get it right but you eliminate the possibility of slight inaccuracies when mounting the prop.

rchelipilot

I use Gemfan props because they make orange reverse rotation props. Hard to balance. Probably too cheep.
I'm using a prop balancer like this.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD712&P=ML

Using fingernail polish on the tips, it will come to rest in a horizontal position, but always the same side up. Like the hole is drilled off center.
Maybe I need quality props, and use colored foam on the arms for orientation since I'm not flying FPV.

Stambo, can you explain how you use a laser and mirror for balancing or direct me to a vid.
Thanks guys.
Stan

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I use the same balancer. You have to balance the hub of the prop too! There are plenty of videos on u tube that show you how to do it!

rchelipilot

Ok........I'll balance the hubs, verify with a laser and mirror, then adjust the gains as needed.
Thanks again guys.
Stan

rchelipilot

Wow Stambo. That looks a simple way to see vibration. I didn't think you would get the dot so smooth, but obviously it works.
This will be interesting to play around with.
Thanks for the video.
Stan

Stambo

Wow Stambo. That looks a simple way to see vibration. I didn't think you would get the dot so smooth, but obviously it works.
This will be interesting to play around with.
Thanks for the video.
Stan

Most important part of the operation is BE CAREFUL!!.
Those rotating knives might not be so big but they are doing some serious RPMs.
They will cut a finger to the bone in no time flat.
I accept no responsibility for any damage to persons or property arising from using this method. :):)

Top Bottom