General Setup V Tail

bigone5500

I have a plane that has no ailerons. It uses the tail to yaw left and right and also pitch up and down. I need to figure out how to set up the Tx for this. I have yet to figure it out. I also have an xt-xinte esc that has simonk firmware. Second question is, is this esc the wrong type for a plane? My Tx is the DX6e.

Admiral

Firstly if the ESC is ring size for your motor & battery there is no reason that it should not work, then I'm a bit confused you talk about controlling a standard 3 Channel plane but you heading refers to V Tail?

bigone5500

Has 2 servos. One for right control surface and one for the other. One stick controls both. Pull back and it acts as elevator...etc. I'm new to this type of tail.

Tony

Staff member
Just set the rudders to the aileron channel unless you want to turn it with the rudder. this is a standard 3 channel as Keith mentioned, so you just turn it with the rudder.

Tony

Staff member
Just saw your latest post. This is going to require V tail mixing, which I'm not sure your Tx will do. The 6i will though.

Smoggie

As Tony said, you need to set up the tail type in your transmitter to V tail (your Tx does support V tail). On a 3 channel in mode 2 you would usually set it up so that the right stick controlled elevator and rudder.

Tony

Staff member
I was thinking of a completely different Tx. I didn't realize his was a computer Tx. I thought it was the one with reversing switches on the face like the 5e. My bad. So yes, you can just go into that one and under the wing, setup V tail.

bigone5500

Thanks I will consult the manual and see what I can figure out. This is a new learning experience for me. Good thing, I was feeling dumb today...

Tony

Staff member
Push and hold the roller while you turn on the Tx. Make sure you are on the model you want to set the V tail up on then scroll down to Wing Type. In there, you should have a V tail option.

bigone5500

Roger. I did see that earlier but didn't know what I was doing. There are so many wing types in there along with tail stuff.

bigone5500

Oh, it's going to be so much better. It has Android!!!! And a touch screen! And WiFi! And Farcebook!!!!

Tony

Staff member
Capturadepantalla2016-12-13alas20.50.04.png_NoticiaAmpliada.jpg

bigone5500

When I pull back on the right stick, the right tail moves up. When I move the right stick to the right, the left tail moves up. The two servos do not operate as they should. I cannot figure this out. There is no information on how to set up this Tx on the page for the plane. I am also having trouble with the throttle control. It doesn't work at all until I start fiddling with the throttle cut. Then it's either on or off when the switch is flipped. The throttle stick then makes it go faster or slower but never kills the motor. I have not had this trouble with my other ESCs.

bigone5500

I think I'm on to something. I found a post on another site about this plane and setting up a DX6i. They mentioned a delta wing. I deleted the model in the Tx and made a new one. This time I chose dual aileron and the wing was a delta shape. Now I get the two control surfaces moving as they should when I up and down elevator. But this time the left and right aileron is backwards. I tried to reverse the servos in the Tx but I get the opposite effect as it now makes the left and right work correctly but the up and down is now backward.

Any suggestions? I'll play around with it more after some chicken strips, mashed potatoes with white gravy and green beans.

Tony

Staff member
If your plane does not have ailerons, then dont' worry about the ailerons. The plane will only have elevator and rudder and the wings should have dihedral for the rudder to be able to bank turn it. Set your tail to V Tail and it will work. You may have to map the rudder to the aileron stick though.

Smoggie

V tail and elevon are essentially the same thing in terms of how the mixing works. If you dont have ailerons on the plane then you could use elevon mixing instead of V-tail.

If the rudder is reversed just swap the servo connections over on the receiver. Do bear in mind though that on a V tail to turn the surfaces move like a rudder.. so to turn left both should move to the left and vice-versa for right turn. Movement is opposite to elevons.

Last edited:
Top Bottom