1. If you would like to get rid of these banners and the ads within the posts, all you have to do is sign up and they will go away!
  2. Welcome to Rc-Help, are you here looking for the PDF Plans? They are located in the store in the tab above, but you must be signed in to access that part of the site. It only takes a second to sign up!
  3. Like Us On Facebook!
    Hello Guest, it occurred to us during that last server failure that we had no way of informing the members of the site of the failure and I would like to invite you to like us on facebook so that you can get updates if the site happens to go down again. We don't post much over there unless we are updating the members so we will not flood your feed like some places do. Just click on Like and then allow notifications and that's it. See you there soon!

Click Here To Rc-Help's Facebook page!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, I see you are not signed up on our forum yet. Did you know Registration is FREE and is only a couple clicks away? You can even sign in from Facebook, Twitter or Google+ for your convenience! So what are you waiting for, CLICK HERE to join in on the conversation!

General Setup V Tail

Discussion in 'Airplanes' started by bigone5500, Dec 9, 2017.

< A Chrismast Present To My Self | RC-Help Trainer V.3.1 Build Log >
  1. bigone5500

bigone5500 Well-Known Member

I have a plane that has no ailerons. It uses the tail to yaw left and right and also pitch up and down. I need to figure out how to set up the Tx for this. I have yet to figure it out. I also have an xt-xinte esc that has simonk firmware. Second question is, is this esc the wrong type for a plane? My Tx is the DX6e.

2. Admiral

Admiral Well-Known Member

Information Technology (Retired)
    Firstly if the ESC is ring size for your motor & battery there is no reason that it should not work, then I'm a bit confused you talk about controlling a standard 3 Channel plane but you heading refers to V Tail?

3. bigone5500

Has 2 servos. One for right control surface and one for the other. One stick controls both. Pull back and it acts as elevator...etc. I'm new to this type of tail.

4. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

Just set the rudders to the aileron channel unless you want to turn it with the rudder. this is a standard 3 channel as Keith mentioned, so you just turn it with the rudder.

5. Tony

Just saw your latest post. This is going to require V tail mixing, which I'm not sure your Tx will do. The 6i will though.

6. Smoggie

Smoggie Well-Known Member

As Tony said, you need to set up the tail type in your transmitter to V tail (your Tx does support V tail). On a 3 channel in mode 2 you would usually set it up so that the right stick controlled elevator and rudder.

7. Tony

I was thinking of a completely different Tx. I didn't realize his was a computer Tx. I thought it was the one with reversing switches on the face like the 5e. My bad. So yes, you can just go into that one and under the wing, setup V tail.

8. bigone5500

Thanks I will consult the manual and see what I can figure out. This is a new learning experience for me. Good thing, I was feeling dumb today...

9. Tony

Push and hold the roller while you turn on the Tx. Make sure you are on the model you want to set the V tail up on then scroll down to Wing Type. In there, you should have a V tail option.

10. bigone5500

Roger. I did see that earlier but didn't know what I was doing. There are so many wing types in there along with tail stuff.

11. Tony

lol, yes there are. And you are wanting the new 12? lmao

12. bigone5500

Oh, it's going to be so much better. It has Android!!!! And a touch screen! And WiFi! And Farcebook!!!!

13. Tony

[​IMG]

bigone5500 likes this.
  14. bigone5500

Here is what I'm dealing with. 15128617839902003131939.jpg

15. bigone5500

When I pull back on the right stick, the right tail moves up. When I move the right stick to the right, the left tail moves up. The two servos do not operate as they should. I cannot figure this out. There is no information on how to set up this Tx on the page for the plane. I am also having trouble with the throttle control. It doesn't work at all until I start fiddling with the throttle cut. Then it's either on or off when the switch is flipped. The throttle stick then makes it go faster or slower but never kills the motor. I have not had this trouble with my other ESCs.

16. Tony

17. bigone5500

I think I'm on to something. I found a post on another site about this plane and setting up a DX6i. They mentioned a delta wing. I deleted the model in the Tx and made a new one. This time I chose dual aileron and the wing was a delta shape. Now I get the two control surfaces moving as they should when I up and down elevator. But this time the left and right aileron is backwards. I tried to reverse the servos in the Tx but I get the opposite effect as it now makes the left and right work correctly but the up and down is now backward.

Any suggestions? I'll play around with it more after some chicken strips, mashed potatoes with white gravy and green beans.

18. Tony

If your plane does not have ailerons, then dont' worry about the ailerons. The plane will only have elevator and rudder and the wings should have dihedral for the rudder to be able to bank turn it. Set your tail to V Tail and it will work. You may have to map the rudder to the aileron stick though.

19. bigone5500

I'll probably check it out tomorrow. Those chicken strips and all made me sleepy...

Thanks!!

20. Smoggie

Smoggie Well-Known Member

V tail and elevon are essentially the same thing in terms of how the mixing works. If you dont have ailerons on the plane then you could use elevon mixing instead of V-tail.

If the rudder is reversed just swap the servo connections over on the receiver. Do bear in mind though that on a V tail to turn the surfaces move like a rudder.. so to turn left both should move to the left and vice-versa for right turn. Movement is opposite to elevons.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
< A Chrismast Present To My Self | RC-Help Trainer V.3.1 Build Log >