Setting up a heli with a DX18

MKP777

I would like to see a walk through for the DX18 in setting up a collective pitch heli from scratch.
Thanks!

Tony

Staff member
If you would like to send me yours, I would be all over it. The 18 is just a little out of my range at this time. Maybe someday though.

Tony

Staff member
If the program is like the DX9, then any of my DX9 videos should be able to help. But if you don't find your answer in those, post up and we will help you out.

Smoggie

I've got the DX18, programming wise it's just like the DX9.

Setup is pretty straightforward. When you create a new model just select helicopter as the model type and most of the setup is done for you. You then need to select swash type, for most flybarless helicopters swash type is 'normal' / 'single servo' (the Align 3GX being the only exception i can think of among FBL controllers).

MKP777

Smoggie,

So I don't have to do the mixing for the swash? Its already done for me?

Also,
Which ports on the receiver do I use for which function? Most notably the cyclic servos? (For example, on planes, port 1 is usually throttle but on sailplanes throttle is sometimes on another port)
How is it setup for Spectrum receivers as far as cyclic servo channels?

- - - Updated - - -

You then need to select swash type, for most flybarless helicopters swash type is 'normal' / 'single servo' (the Align 3GX being the only exception i can think of among FBL controllers).

Yeah I'm using a DJI Naza-H which will be a first for me, I'd always used AS3X for heli's. And I'm learning now that I should use a 'Normal/Single Servo'. I suppose if I were not using any sort of stabilization I'd need to use 120 degree, 3 servo swash.

Smoggie

yes, if it were a flybar heli you would use 3 servo /120 degree, but with FLB the FBL controller (usually) does all that mixing so you dont need the Tx to do it.

With the DX18 channels are user assignable but the Spektrum default is:

Channel 1 - Throttle
Channel 2 - Aileron
Channel 3 - Elevator
Channel 4 - Rudder
Channel 5 - Gear -- tail gyro gain
Channel 6 - Aux 1 (Pitch)
Channel 7 - Aux 2

Top Bottom