ESC Setting Governor Mode

Derek

If I'm understanding this correctly, to set the Governor Mode on an ESC for a helicopter, you need to take the number of poles and divide that number by two. I'm looking a motor for a 450 heli and, in the specs for this motor, it says "Pole Count: 5". Is that common? Most motors that I've looked at have an even number of poles.

Update

Ok, I think I have that wrong. It's when I'm tring to calculate the head speed, I would need to know the pole count and the gear rate of the main drive gear vs the pinion. It looks like actually "setting the governor mode" is rather straight forward. However, I'm still perplexed that the motor I have been looking at has an odd number of poles. Even more so odd, I looked at another motor and it says it has a pole count of 4.5. How can you have 4.5 poles???

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
More than likely, it's a 6 pole motor. But, if this is on a 450, don't run a governor. Nothing but issues.

Tony

Staff member
If you read what I posted about my new 450, you will know not to use it. I set the gov mode on that one and it did fine on spool up. Flipped into IU1, everything was great. IU2, didn't seem like it was reaching the highest head speed, but whatever it was still flying. However, when it was time to land, I went back to normal mode, and it dropped my head speed down to where I had to use almost full collective to keep it in the air. Tried going into IU1 and 2 agian to get more head speed, and nothing. Damn near crashed that thing because of the governor on teh Align 35a ESC.

However, since your helicopter is modified to fit the YEP 45a in teh frame, you CAN run the gov on that one. I did on mine and it worked okay. Kept the head speed where it should be and didn't do the crap that the Align one did. Something to think about, but I would suggest the Align ESC and no gov. It's much cooler to fly with a 100% flat throttle curve anyway lmao.

Derek

ok, I'm asking for some clarification now. What is the difference between setting up the governor mode on a helicopter and just using flat throttle curves in the tx?

murankar

Staff member
The gov will attempt to maintain the head speed through your collective rang. A flat curve will set the head speed to that curve with no way to maintain head speed.

You will see less bogging with a gov than without. That's the simple way to say it.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Tony

Staff member
On a governor, you will set a max of 85% on your head speed. That gives the governor and motor 15% more power for when you add a lot of pitch to the blades, and a lot of load, to apply more power and keep that head speed up. But you have to watch your I and P gains because if they are off, the motor can actually "unwind" when you go to 0 pitch and over speed the head. Which can be disastrous to the helicopter.

pvolcko

P and I what?

:)

:banned:

Derek, what they said, plus one bit: Usually with a governor you actually still use a flat curve on the Tx. Some governors, such as on a CC ESC, allow you to specify up to three governed head speeds which you select from the transmitter by different flat throttle curves of roughly 30% 70% and 100%, which would be assigned to the throttle curves for normal, idle up1, and idle up2.

Top Bottom