Servos Servo Locations

I'm starting to put together some plans to build my own plane. I am curious about the location of the servos. I've noticed most wing servos are in the wings, but the rudder and elevator are up in the "cockpit" area of the plane. Is there any reason not to mount the servos closer to the control surfaces? Or is it better to have them in the cockpit area?
There are the obvious ones i've though of such as access and COG but is there anything else to remember?

Maybe i should put this post in one of the other sections as i'm thinking of more questions.
How do I work out what motor and prop to use for my plane when it's made?

Derek

Yeah, mostly the servo placement has to do with CG. I do have a plane that has the rudder and elevator servos directly on the tail section. But I also have another plane that has the servos much close to the cockpit because the plane would be seriously tail heavy if I put the servos any further rearward.

Sweet thanks Derek. I have a feeling the plane I'm wanting to build will be a tail dragger, and very likely to be tail heavy... although will depend on positioning of a few things like batteries and motor, and how far forward they are.
Have to work out how to do my retracts as well

Tony

Staff member
In my 3D planes, I have the servos in the back on teh side of the fuse, but those planes like to fly tail heavy just slightly. As stated, it's to keep the outside clean and for CoG.

I'll have a look around, and see where the kits put their servos.
Makes sense to have easy access so that's the other part to think about.
With the linkage rods from servos to horns, is a length of wire enough? bent into the right shapes of course.
Founds some plans for a corsair, and I want to have a go at building it, and just trying to lay out the steps and figure out the layout inside the fuse to suit

Derek

Something that I've learned is that there is a lot of trial and error. Even with the store bought kits, not all the time are the servo locations accurate to balance the CG. Just take your time with your build, put some thought into it, draw it out, then build. Be prepared to make corrections as you go, lol, because it's going to happen.

Good luck buddy!!!

Thanks Derek!!
I was aware of a fair bit of trial and error, but i guess if i can have a should be around here position it will just help me plan out the internals of the fuse, where roughly i need to have mounting posts etc....
I need to sus out a few retracts. I need ones that will rotate the wheels 90 degrees, and then work out how i'm going to get the rear wheel to fit, if i'm going to worry about a retract for the tail wheel.
All fun ad games hahaha

oh hell yeah!! But i'm looking forward to it!! Can't wait! I'll have some time off when baby is born, so might use some of that time to sit myself down and do some building

Derek

The wingspan of my big plane measures out at 20 feet 5/8 inches. No, I've not used any kind of retracts before.

Derek

lol...it's not complete yet and not seen any airtime, but soon to come. The fuselage measures out around 9.5 feet, from nose to elevator.

One single motor, 245kv....turning a 20x10APC prop.

I'll PM you a link so that we don't "thread-jack" this thread much more, lol

hehehe it's ok its my thread in this case, it can be jacked lol
That's awesome!! I watched the videos and stuff, and it's awesome!
Can't wait to get started on my plans and hopefully get this corsair up in the air!

Top Bottom