General Servo Help

fireman7234

Just bought a eagle 2 plane came with futaba s3004 servos looking for something good to replace them with that’s not super expensive

Attachments

• 9F98E233-C6AD-4338-A53E-C7122F07C526.jpeg
    9F98E233-C6AD-4338-A53E-C7122F07C526.jpeg
    201.5 KB · Views: 6

Tony

Staff member
because the Eagle 2 is a high wing trainer, I'm going to suggest sticking with those and get your money out of them. You don't need super fast servos on that plane, you just need something that will control it, and those have been around for YEARS! I think I have some of those in a couple of my planes lol.

why are you wanting to replace them by chance?

RandyDSok

Good?

The Futaba S3004 servos are a good quality servo at a price that is hard to beat for the performance they provide. You could go up to a dual ball bearing, or metal gear... perhaps a faster speed or higher torque but all of those qualities would also come at a higher price to maintain the quality level you already have...

So the question back to you... so others would have an idea to base a suggestion on... is Why do you want to change them? In otherwords what is the reasons you think they need changed?

fireman7234

because the Eagle 2 is a high wing trainer, I'm going to suggest sticking with those and get your money out of them. You don't need super fast servos on that plane, you just need something that will control it, and those have been around for YEARS! I think I have some of those in a couple of my planes lol.

why are you wanting to replace them by chance?
One of them is going bad and they are pretty slow would like a faster one for the throttle

Tony

Staff member
What kind of budget are we talking about here? Per servo that is. So either 4 servos or 5 depending on if you have separate aileron servos. No matter the way, it's going to be expensive.

fireman7234

What kind of budget are we talking about here? Per servo that is. So either 4 servos or 5 depending on if you have separate aileron servos. No matter the way, it's going to be expensive.
If I replace them with same futaba ones they are around $ 16 each on amazon I would need 3 there is only one for aileron but still would like a quicker one for throttle but don’t want to put a 70 dollar servo for throttle may something around $20 to $30 range

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Well, I will let some others chime in with their opinions on this. The one that I would have suggested is the Align DS655, which I have on the throttle of Murphy. But, you don't want to pay that much. The other servos that I would suggest are also up there in price. We will see what others say on the matter.

RandyDSok

I'm going the way of Tony here... sort of.... with a couple possible suggestions included...

First... That Futaba S3004 runs around $14 at Tower Hobby and AMainHobby... but that is before shipping, so if you have Amazon Prime, you'll pay about the same for them from the hobby shops. I'll also mention I found them for about $13 but that was without the typical hardware like mounting bushings and horns etc...

First... The Servo Database sorted by size... so you can look a larger number of possible servos.... this is where I'd point you at first despite the following two Hitec servos which are slightly faster than the Futaba you've got... but not significantly which would cost a lot more ( over $115 and up )

Servo Database - RC Servo Specs and Reviews

Hitec HS-430BH -- Hitec HS-430BH Standard Deluxe BB HV Servo

Hitec Hs-625MG -- ( probably what I'd pick since these have metal gears despite being a little faster ) -- Hitec HS-625MG High-Speed 2BB Metal Gear Servo

RandyDSok

Oooh... Those Align servo's are nice and not nearly as pricey as the coreless ones I looked at... in fact, the DS655S ( metal gear ) wasn't much more than the standard geared one... and has metal gears to boot... approx $65 ( at Tower Hobby )

Tony

Staff member
I lied, I have the 655 on the tail of Murphy, I have the 620 or something on the throttle. Something that works with the governor, so it is fast. But still expensive.

Top Bottom