ESC Screwed my bec over!!!!!

@#% Im really pissed at myself.When i was leveling my swash my two esc wire came together and made a spark.Since i was power everything of a separate psu i thought this couldn't happen.The esc is working thankfully.I plugged it into the motor and it spooled up.I measured the bec voltage and i got i very disappointing 2.5 volts.Yep definitely killed something.Anyways,what should i do now?Does anyone happen to know if bec are boost-buck converters or simply linear voltage regulators.If they are linear i was simply planing to use the lm350 voltage regulator as my new bec. Luckly its got the same rating as the bec.The other option would be to simply now get an rx battery.That also has an advantage of being able to auto in if the motor,esc, or main batt dies? What should i do?Buying another esc is not an option.

- - - Updated - - -

Please excuse my terrible grammar.I was kind of pissed off.haha

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
What size bird is this?

Does your esc not have an inbuilt bec? Can't you use that?

I know it's not a solution to what you posted ... But without looking at it or testing it, busted diode makes sense ... Lol but can't say surely :)

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

Tony

Staff member
In all honesty, it's cheaper and much easier to just replace the ESC if it's one of the cheap ones. I'm not sure how the wires came together since everything should be in a plug, but this one could fall under the "lesson learned" category. If its damaged, I would highly opt for the Align 35a ESC with the Align 450MX motor. You will never have to worry about the power again.

Do you consider 50$ cheap?If the fix is as easy to take of the shrink wrap and replace a voltage regulator or diode i think thats much more cheap.Does anyone happen to have a picture of an align 35 amp esc.That the one im using.The esc it self still works just not the bec.

- - - Updated - - -

What im mean by picture is one of the shrink vwrap taken off of it.

Tony

Staff member
My apologies. Most all members on this forum dont' have the required soldering skills to replace something as small as a voltage reg on a board this small. Also, most members are running very cheap ESC's that in all reality, are nothing but crap in a package with wires. Thankfully some of the members are starting to see the importance in quality and are switching over to Align or higher.

As for a picture of the ESC, I don't have one. However if/when you are ready, you cna remove yours. You should see either some black around the reg or a crack in it where it has blown. If you don't see any of that, check the shrink wrap carefully for smoke damage to give away the location. If you have a camera good enough, take some good upclose shots of the damage and issues and post the replacement if you can.

Ok will do.I have been soldering since I was 7 and my dad always taught me to replace and try to fix something before going out to buy a new one.I hope the blown regulator(if it is that)will still have the part # on it or this will become very difficult.Ive heard of others replacing the mosfets so i hope this will work too.Before I start though, does anyone happen to have the schematic.I know this is highly unlikely as it comes from a commercial company but if i could isolate the bec circuit that would make this fix a whole lot sfaer.

Top Bottom