Prop Scratch design and build of 40" Sport trainer

Gerald

I like to build and fly! I wanted a little bit larger trainer plane. I also wanted to understand more about the design process of a plane and how much wing size to fuselage size to tail size to horizontal stabilizer size affected the plane and it's use /performance. I found some good information on the web and started this plane design and build. I used window's7 paint program, because you can adjust the work space to the exact size of the DTFB and it has a grid function that made it easy for me to use. I know there are 3d programs out there but I'm old school and I want to get building.
So here is the design.
The fuse is 30" long Wing is 40" span 8" chord
The design will print actual size of all parts, the wing is made from 1 sheet of DTFB huge wing from a 20x30 sheet!
Some design elements, the battery loads in the top of the fuse in front of the windshield and can accommodate a 2200 mah 3s battery, I made a removable hatch for it. The reason for this is so I don't have to flip the plane over to change batteries and risk tail damage. The esc is in a compartment below the battery and I have vent holes in the bottom plate to cool it. That makes an easy connection for the battery and I run the control wire to the RX that is up in the space below the wing where I have a shelf/former placed, that keeps RX away from the high current and RFI of the battery and motor. The landing gear is placed as close to the LE of the wing as it should be for a tail dragger. The esc is 40 amp and the motor is a HK Donkey ST3007 1100 Kv and it will have a 9x4 slo-fly prop and of course 9 gram servos. The wing mounts on the fuse in a pocket area I designed into it and will be held on with rubber bands and bbq skewers.
Here it is!​

View attachment 12649
View attachment 12650
View attachment 12651
View attachment 12652
View attachment 12653

Finished paint job ready to maiden!

View attachment 12654
View attachment 12655
View attachment 12656
View attachment 12657
View attachment 12658

Maiden flight!

I ramble a bit on the video but I'm so happy with the result I sound like a kid!

Gerald Cook

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
Hell yeah Gerald! That is a sweet flying little plane right there. And it's 7" narrower than the RCH Trainer. Great job and great flying.

Derek

From one scratch builder to another...that's a cool looing trainer and it flies very well!!! Nice job buddy! I wish we lived closer. It would be fun to hang out with you. Great job on the plane! I hope to see more of this plane.

Gerald

Thanks Tony, Derek and Lee! So far just 2 flights but I am really happy with it! The local club has a fun fly this weekend and I will hopefully get some good video if the weather is good.

ryan_cornelius

Hello im new to the forum and new to rc but i must say that is some great flying. Talking bout landings does anyone know a great way to land because i get confused when the plane is facing my way because the ailerons are reversed?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Lee

Face the same direction as the plane, so your controls are normal.
You'll have to look over you shoulder slightly to see the plane :)

Top Bottom