Projects Scratch Built "Weston UK Velocity 50"

Derek

I forget who it was, but someone here mentioned that they'd like to see more info on my scratch built Velocity 50. Here are some pics

1 Velocity Kit.jpg
Here is a pic of the actual kit. It's one of the pics that I used as a reference during the build

2First Lines.jpg
Using some 3/4" insulation foam board, here are some of the first lines (1/2" insulation foam will be used if there is a "next time")

3First Cuts Made.jpg
cut out

4Rib Lines Laid Out.jpg
This pic shows the lines where the ribs will be placed to form the airfoil

5Made Two.jpg
I made two

6Grooves Cut For Spars.jpg
I uses some 3/8" square poplar for spars.

7Spars glued in place.jpg
glued the spars into place and used a bunch of Mountain Dew cans, lol, to hold the spars in place while the glue cures

8Motor Mount.jpg
I had some scrap aluminum that I used for the motor mounts

9Fuselage Fitting.jpg
Dry fitting the fuselage sides. This is 1/8" plywood.

10color to skin.jpg
Adding some color to the top of the airfoil. This is just 3/16" foamboard with colored packing tape. The white parts were just covered with clear packing tape.

11color to fuselage.jpg
Adding some color to the fuselage sides. This is colored Duck Tape.

12Sides and Stab installed.jpg
Fuselage sides and Stab installed. I also added some beveled balsa to the leading edge to help make it pretty.

13Dry Fitting Skin.jpg
Dry fitting the skin

15Canopy Fit.jpg
I bought a block of foam from my local craft store. Cut the block to the desired width and began to cut "here and there", then sanded "there and here" to shape the canopy

16Carved Canopy.jpg
Shaped Canopy

17Covered Cockpit.jpg
Covered the cockpit area with silver Duck Tape

18Both Covered.jpg
Both airframes are done

I'll get a list of the electronics together that I used as well as some numbers from the bench test.

1 Velocity Kit.jpg

2First Lines.jpg

3First Cuts Made.jpg

4Rib Lines Laid Out.jpg

5Made Two.jpg

6Grooves Cut For Spars.jpg

7Spars glued in place.jpg

8Motor Mount.jpg

9Fuselage Fitting.jpg

10color to skin.jpg

11color to fuselage.jpg

12Sides and Stab installed.jpg

13Dry Fitting Skin.jpg

15Canopy Fit.jpg

16Carved Canopy.jpg

17Covered Cockpit.jpg

18Both Covered.jpg

trainrider06

Pretty cool Derek! I'm gonna have to investigate this project further!
Thank you for posting! Nice work too!

Derek

Thanks for checking this out, Rodney! It's been a really fun build.

I have a friend, in the UK, that is a team pilot for Weston UK and he flies his Velocity 50 with a group of 4-6 others at the same time. He and his Dad share their flight videos. Here's one of them:

WESTON UK VELOCITY 50 (MANIC TEA TRAYS) RC DISPLAY TEAM RC MODEL AIRCRAFT SHOW BARTONS POINT 2012 - YouTube

Each time these guys post their Velocity 50 flight videos, I make damn sure that I check it out. What a wild flight!!! It actually got so exciting for me to watch them that I decided to build one for myself. The actual kit is liquid fueled. I don't know if it's nitro or gas. All my stuff is electric so I had to find some powerful electronics. I'll get a list of everything that I used on my build posted soon but I can tell you that it's 6S powered.

trainrider06

Wholly crap! Just the sound of em! Waaaay cool! My dang club I belong to I wouldn't be able to fly one...no jets or real loud things allowed there, because they built houses butted right up near the field.
Those things scream too! Wicked fast! Can't wait to see that thing fly!

Derek

Yeah, the sound of 6 of these screaming by is amazing. Since mine is electric, the sound won't be as cool but it still should be interesting.

There are a few guys that fly turbines at my club field so I surely won't have to worry about a noise ordinance.

Smoggie

Re: Scratch Built "Weston UK Velocity 50"

That should get the adrenalin pumping!

Extreme Flight do a similar delta called the 'Outlaw': 36" Electric Outlaw - Red Scheme

- - - Updated - - -

PS.. Just to give you a heads up. If you have built the wing with a 'flat bottom' type airfoil you will need quite a bit of upward reflex on the elevons, otherwise it will do a 'lawn dart' impression straight from launch.

Derek

Re: Scratch Built "Weston UK Velocity 50"

That should get the adrenalin pumping!

Extreme Flight do a similar delta called the 'Outlaw': 36" Electric Outlaw - Red Scheme

- - - Updated - - -

PS.. Just to give you a heads up. If you have built the wing with a 'flat bottom' type airfoil you will need quite a bit of upward reflex on the elevons, otherwise it will do a 'lawn dart' impression straight from launch.

The adrenalin gets pumping everytime I look at the plane, ha ha ha. I just need to get some better weather for the maiden flight. Just recently, I've heard about that Extreme Flight Outlaw. That looks like an awesome machine, too! I've even begun drafting up plans for my own build and I've ordered new electronics for it. Hopefully I'll have that done within the next few weeks.

Because my Velocity 50 does have a flat bottom, I have already added a bit of reflex and I'm sure that will need to be adjusted after the first few flights.

Smoggie

If you want some cheap speed thrills the Hobbyking Rarebear 'Funfighter' is worth looking at. It's only 620mm span (about 24") but it will crack 100mph which looks a lot faster on such a small plane.

Here's mine from a year or two back:

Last edited by a moderator:

trainrider06

Wow! How do you keep up with that thing? It's a zinger!!!
Very cool! Thanks Steve, and thanks Derek for indriducing me to this new world! Just WOW!

Derek

The Rare Bear funfighter is an awesome plane! A buddy of mine has one and he just runs it on 3S...it's very fast. I've recently bought an HK Skyfun. I'm just gonna run it on 3S, for now, for some good FPV flying but I intend on upgrading to a 4S setup. I imagine that a Skyfun on 4S will push 100mph....but that's for a different thread, lol

Rodney...I have 3 Align helicopters and they are great fun to fly...but there are so many planes available that really don't cost very much. If you have an extra profile slot in your transmitter, there is surely no harm in getting an inexpensive plane and having some fun on that avenue. I have the 3 heli's and 10 or 11 planes of various styles. They are just fun!

trainrider06

Oh I won't park the heli's for sure, but I've had an interest in planes all along.
I've been thinning the heli herd down some, my last heli I plan on getting is a Goblin 630. Then I want to start in get me a good trainer, and get a few planes, one of those mentioned I think may just need to be one that I NEED! Lol
I would love love to have a full on jet/turbine powered F-4 aircraft, but that's crazy money there!
But a twin electric would be ok I guess too. That's my goal in planes at least, but I gotta get into the planes and learn more about em, and fly em first....:)

Top Bottom