Scale Scratch Build

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
What in particular are you after? Like a pod and boom or a scale fuselage? I'm thinking the web is probability you best info source. Thats a big heli to scratch build, would be cool tho....

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Hi Arfman, I'm scratch building a 450 size Sirorsky 64 heli. It has a 931mm length fuselage with (5) 360mm main blades and a 4 blade tail rotor. Have several threads on the forum for your review. Been working on it for a year now and it's not an easy feat. There's a whole lot of figuring and calculations to over come. First of all if you are thinking about scratch building, do your research and put all your thoughts down on paper. Believe me it's a lot easier in doing this before pouring money into a project that can cost you time and material down the road. I drew full scale plans last year and it looked good on paper but had to make a series of changes and compromises. I'm lucky that fran11784 lives near by and has the skill sets and knowledge I need to complete this quest. Despite the challenges It will get done one day and so will yours. Please feel free to ask for advice from the awesome members in the Forum. We all enjoy in each others success :peaceful:.

Arfman

Thank you for your reply James. I wish you well with your build. The reason im building is the larger Heli's are far too expensive. Also i have worked in a fibre glass shop and built fibre glass moulds when i was younger. I worked at British Aerospace so I have some knowledge at least. I have a lathe and small milling machine so I can manufacture some parts at home Like you say so many things to look into . Hopefully we may be able to give each other some insights ?

Arfman

What in particular are you after? Like a pod and boom or a scale fuselage? I'm thinking the web is probability you best info source. Thats a big heli to scratch build, would be cool tho....
Hi Fran I want to build a scale fuselage. I have a blade 450 with a Jet ranger fuselage Im not a fan of pod and boom . I know its a lot of work but i have lots of time. Thank you

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Sounds awesome, I wish I had the resources to build my own fiber glass fuse. I was ready to pull the trigger on a 900 size sky crane until I found out how much it was to ship from Vario in Germany. Please let us know what you decide on

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Hi Arfman, wow that's awesome with your background working with fibreglass. Always wanted to try that but had no clue as where to begin in building a helicopter. So I chose to build my heli using plywood, pine strips, cardboard, styrofoam and clear plastic for the windows. At present named my heli Hulk Jr and he weighs in at 5 lbs. Using a 3700kv motor, 40 amp ESC, 2200 Lipo battery and 360mm main blades. May not be smooth and round as a Vario kit but you'll know it's a Sirorsky Sky Crane. And I made it :banana:. Eventually Hulk Jr. will be heading for the paint shop. Since the bird will be FBL, fran11784 is helping me in that department also check out his web site on You Tube: fran11784. :twothumbsup: . Best regards, Jim

Attachments

• 20221009_121341_resized.jpg
    20221009_121341_resized.jpg
    522.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Arfman

Hi James good job on the Sirorski Sky Crane. Im sure it will look superb once painted. Recently found out there is no co relation to the helicopter size ie 300 450 etc to the real thing. The only thing these numbers refer to are the rotor size. Based on that im going to find the ratio between the blades on an 800 and use that to figure all the other dimensions from full size.

Arfman

Hi James thank you for asking. I have the mold are for the front of the fuselage and am starting on the middle and rear. If you are interested i can post some pictures. I have also purchased a number of parts from a Align tree 800 . I am still looking for the Main boom and the gear set for the main shaft and tail drive.
I apprecciate your interest James thank you .

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey there Arfman and welcome. If it's not a bother, can you post some pictures? I imagine there are a few of us here who would be interested in seeing them including my self :hdbng:

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
A good place to source older Align parts is Grand RC if you haven't already. The oldest heli in my fleet is a Align 800. I bought it in 2013 and has countless flights on it. If you get stuck on any one part, inbox me, I may be able to help. O, and pictures please.......:excitement:

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Slow down on my Sky Crane project due to other things. But with fran11784 help did change to digital servos. Painted Hulk Jr and will have decals done soon.

Arfman

A good place to source older Align parts is Grand RC if you haven't already. The oldest heli in my fleet is a Align 800. I bought it in 2013 and has countless flights on it. If you get stuck on any one part, inbox me, I may be able to help. O, and pictures please.......:excitement:
Hi Fran thank you for the information. There are still some parts I am missing and im not sure the guy I deal with in England has them. I have been fortunate in finding really good used parts .

Top Bottom