Scratch Build Helicopter??

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
I've been thinking..(Uh Oh) SMELL HAIR BURNING YET??

Well, I've seen and heard about scratch build planes why not a scratch build helicopter.

I'm thinking about a 15cc 2 stroke gas powered engine. I have a friend who owns a aluminum forging company so i could get my parts custom made. He has the whole works too, the treatment vats and kiln for baking to hardness. i also have a friend to owns a CNC so really all I have to do is buy the electronics and a engine.

I was thinking about taking a Align 600 or 700 and scaling it up to match the 15cc engine. If a 600n runs on a .50 cc engine that means a 15cc engine would need a Huuuuuumongus frame (some heavy duty CF and #5 grade steel bolts). The engine was posted in the previous post. Or mabe this one

PAAAAANHDPPFDICH.jpg

With 7' main blades that would be 1828.8mm

The problem is funding and architectural skills. It would be awesome to build a remote controlled flying Volkswagen ... Hmmmm :anonymous:
or a Flying weed eater... lol
[video=youtube_share;eOsQ-rCV32M]http://youtu.be/eOsQ-rCV32M[/video]

ya!

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
How is it that when you have electricity, you never post, but when you don't have electricity, you post more than anyone else? hahaha.

And if you can make that helicopter, it would be sweet. It would be very scale flying as it no fast movements. A 15cc motor will not have a lot of power for it's size. So, it will be able to spin the blades, but can't handle a lot of pitch. Should be interesting if you do it.

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
I was on generator. Couldn't piddle in my shop so I had to resort to forum ... lol. Power is back now but it is bed time.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
That's would be awesome... I saw a guy in the hobby shop with a 600 frame reinforced and space made for a 15or20cc engine.. I saw the engine, it was huge!! Bigger than the heli frame. But because of this one company which mods 600 frames to
fir Such engines in there, he could do it... I wish I remembered the website... You might wanna just google it. Might find some design ideas there..

Whirlybird

Tommy, back in the early 70's, scratch building helicopters was in. That's when I built my Polecat. Had a Unimat hobby lathe/mill machine to make parts . . . though of course today it's all CNC.

Lathes, Turning Type Machines- UNIMAT.jpg

unimat.jpg

Last edited:

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
Hey Frank!!! Dang, I aint heard for you in months. Yup, I've seen one of them contraptions. I think my older brother has one. I would love to have a CNC but then you have to buy SmartCAD and a PCLink then know how to use them all. Looks like someone would have come up with a scaled down version of one by now..

Tony

Staff member
I would want to do them out of a hardwood, and not something that is held together with glue lol. Like a baseball bat so to speak.

Tony

Staff member
I would get a piece that was twice as big as the blade, and cut it in half. I have actually thought abotu this while trying to go to sleep... No wonder I can't sleep hahaha

Whirlybird

Back in the 60's, if you saw my "Walk Through Nostalgia" video, I mentioned that I built a Bell 47 replica in the back yard from lumber and conduit found on the many new home sits on our block . . . no bubble . . . I made a Scorpion type cockpit. I used an 8' plywood piece for the blades. I wanted to put in a lawn mower engine that we used in a go kart, but my Dad would not allow it. So we spun the rotor by hand for our imaginary flights :)

Top Bottom