Projects Scratch Build Delta Wing with Naze32 troubles

Derek

I've had a spare Naze32 rev 5 just laying around and I decided to put it on my little Delta Wing, made from a single sheet of Dollar Tree foamboard. I've gotten it all set up and working properly, with the exception of one thing. The servo travel is pathetic. In Cleanflight, it says to adjust the Servo Travel in the tx to a high and low of 1000 - 2000, with 1500 in the middle. I've done that. When I give full elevator, up or down, the servos move the control surfaces very very little. The same thing with full left or right Aileron.

Now, I've flown this type of Delta Wing without a stabilizer of any sort and I can make the servos move so much that the control surfaces are 45 degree up and down. But then I connect the Naze32 and the control surface travel is very little.

Any ideas or suggestions???

Derek

Scratch that....I got the problem sorted. After searching YouTube a bit, I found a video that a guy shared 8 months ago. He was putting a Naze32 rev 6 into a flying wing. He did an amazing job at showing what he had set up in Cleanflight and he showed what I had missed. I needed to have the Passthru enabled, in the Modes Tab. When he got to that part of the video, I remember Stambo told me to do the same thing when I had originally started this idea but I had forgotten that part. After watching that part of the guys video, I immediately knew that would solve the problem. I took my laptop out to the garage and connected the USB cable to the Delta Wing, went to the Modes Tab, enabled Passthru throughout the whole range of my AUX2, powered up my tx, plugged the battery into the plane, moved the right stick full up, down, left and right and the control surface moved ALOT. Perfect!!!

I went into the DR/Expo in my tx and tamed the control surfaces and now the plane is 100% ready to fly. Now...where's that warmer weather???

Stambo

Use pass through as a separate mode Derek, it turns off all stabilisation so the Naze is doing nothing.
If you have it on the entire range you will disable or conflict with other modes so you have no stabilisation at all.
If I remember right, I had angle, acro and passthrough as my 3 flight modes.
Acro was excellent as it just stays where you put it.

Derek

I just tested it....and you're right, Stambo. With Passthru on, throughout the full range, there is no stabilization.

I'm just really concerned that I won't have enough control surface throw in the other modes. The travel is quite small......insanely small compared to Passthru.

Stambo

Have it on a switch so you can turn it off then get ready to turn it on again if you need to.
I think from memory the naze seems to limit it on the ground but when it detects some movement it will give it more.
Seems to me that in stabilised modes you are telling the Naze what you want to do and it controls the aircraft, so if you ask for maximum roll and it's not happening fast enough the naze will then increase the travel.
It's been a good while since I tried this so I am having trouble recalling what exactly I did to get mine to work.
What I do know is the naze made an aircraft fly well that I could not fly without it.

Derek

Thanks for that, Stambo! I'll likely set the Passthru to POS1, Horizon to POS2, and Angle to POS3. I'll make those changes tonight and hopefully get to fly tomorrow

Top Bottom