Samsung Galaxy Note II

Tony

Staff member
I'm sure that you guys remember me getting the Galaxy S III and the troubles I had with it. But on the last post of that thread, I had said that I just couldn't wait it out on a fix for the network issues. If you don't remember, or are a new member here, you can read the full thread on the S III HERE. Anyway, I did take that phone back and I just stuck it out with my iphone 4, until this past weekend that is.

My poor iPhone 4 has been put through the wringer. The vibrate motor went out, and I replaced it, and it's going out again. Now, the button is having issues. Push it, nothing. Push it again, double click. Push it again, single click. Push a double click, nothing. Push a double click, single click. It's very annoying and was REALLY pissing me off lmao. So, it was time to change, again...

I started shopping around, and everyone and their mother has the Note II for $299. Yeah, I'm not paying that. So I was looking on Sams club for some other things, and found this phone for $175. Yeah, over a bill off what others want for it. That's what I'm talking about. So we headed out the door to go get it.

After going to sams, dealing with a VERY slow talker and typer, we find out that I need my license since I'm the primary on the account. The wifes info wont' work. So 1.5 hours later and almost falling asleep, we are back, this time I didn't forget my wallet lol.

the wife and I had talked, and she wanted a new phone as well. So I told her that the ONLY issue I was having with the S III was the network, and we have 4G LTE at our house, so that is not an issue. So, I get the gray Note II and she gets the red S III.

After more shopping around town, we head for the house. Once we get there I start looking into what these phones have. First thing I notice, her phone is already loaded with OS 4.1.1. The one I had was OS 4.0.1. So they did update that, finally. But what I was worried about was the Note II and if it was going to work. So I start testing out different apps.

I'm sure you have read that I have an app on my phone that I can use to control my whole saltwater aquarium. It works great. Also I have an app for my thermostat in my house, again, it works great. So I fire up my app for the cameras I have at my house. It fails after looking at them for a few minutes. I try another app to look at them, fails again. Same thing on the S III.

I do remember seeing somewhere that I would need to update to the latest firmware on the DVR recorder, so that may be the issue. But, I still have my iphones and we can see the camera on there as well as the TV, and any computer in the house. so, not a deal breaker.

What would be a deal breaker is if I was having the network issues like in that other thread. and tonight is the first night that I'm back at work after getting it. and I have to say, after some setup to connect it to my computer, this thing has not missed a beat. BUT! The Note II has found LTE out here somehow. Not sure how since the closest tower to me is ONLY 4G and NOT LTE. Hey, I'm not complaining.

Then the wife calls and I figure this is the PERFECT time to test out the internet while on a phone call. With the IP4, the call would be great, but the internet slowed WAY down. On this one, there is a little delay, but it works GREAT. The ping went from like <100ms to about 250ms. Not a deal breaker and MUCH better than the iphone.

So after all of this testing for two days, the ONLY issue I have is with the cameras at the house. And I'm sure that is just a firmware update and it will be cured.

So, the phone is HUGE, it's a little awkward to carry and talk on, but man that screen is amazing to watch videos on compared to the iphone. And holding my iphone, I feel like I'm going to break the little thing lmao.

so, I will be doing more testing, and like the S III thread, I will keep you updated as to what I find with this one. If you have the Note II, post up and let me know what you think about it.

Adam

yup that is what im replacing my s 3 with but im a truck driver so i dont need to carry it or talk on it lol.

Different strokes for different folks... I hate Samsung phones. My wife had an original Galaxy S (EPIC) and it had a terrible GPS in it, and from what I've read the S2 wasn't any better - not sure about the S3 or Note 2. I really don't like the colors on the screen - especially the white. Now that I think about it, I can't count the number of things I hated about her EPIC! :D She loved it until she got her iPhone - it's much more on her level technically. :) Anyway, that's just my opinion, and we all know they all stink! :p

Tony

Staff member
Adam, the more I test this Note II, the more I like it. Being a truck driver, it would be perfect. Could leave your lappy at the house and just use this. I know that is what I would do anyway. The screen is a good size and you can run picture in picture on this one. Meaning you can run two screens at the same time. So I can type on here and open up my email and read that at the same time. Here at work though, I use my lappy since I have to do way too much typing to do on that phone. No matter, I still really like it. The size is so far the hardest thing to get used to after owning the iPhone 4. the IP4 feels so small now lmao.

FLB, as you said, different strokes. I LOVE the phones that are more geared towards the tech's out there. Apple is great for those that want something that "just works" out of the box, and you can't change much on it without completely hacking it. With the Note II or the S III, there is just so much you can do with it. And the camera on the Note II and S III is MUCH better than it is on apples stuff. And an even better note, I don't have to install iTunes on any of my computers. I cant' stand iTunes because it always doubles every song track that I have and I have to spend hours cleaning it up. Not sure what is going on and have not looked into it. Now I will not have to ever again lol.

But as stated, it's what people like. I love the larger screen and I really like that Samsung actually has upgrades. They don't just put an "s" on the end of the name and call it a new phone. Or make it 1/2" taller and call it a completely new phone. Just not an upgrade to me IMO. Oh, and I'm running a quad core in this Note II as well. Not sure what the IP5 has. I'm sure it's close though.

But again, it's what people like. Same as with this hobby of Rc, get what you like. Some people really like the HK heli's, and some will not go any lower than an Align. Just depends on what you like and what you want to spend.

Tony

Staff member
After more testing, I still can't find anything wrong with this phone. When you click it to wake it up and turn the screen on, it's a little lethargic, but nothing that is a deal breaker. I have found that when I turn off the wifi at my house, It will turn it's self back on. It's annoying, but not a bad thing. This means that whenever I'm near my house and it picks up my signal, it's going to connect and save my bandwidth.

The battery life is not that great, but with a screen this big and a phone that small, you can't pack much inside it. Annoying, but not a deal breaker. I just make sure I have a charger near me when I go out.

The S III I had before I took back as soon as I could. This one is NOT going back this weekend and gives me yet another week to test before I'm locked into my contract. I have a feeling I'm going to be keeping this phone for a long time to come.

Top Bottom