ESC Safety First !

EyeStation

I just had my first, and hopefully last surprise with my 450 Heli. I discovered my ESC was going bad and starting to brown out my system. I had a spare Speed Passion 40A Sky Walker and installed it and started to go through the set up procedure. I flipped my DX6i to Stunt instead of redoing my Throttle curve to 100%. Needless to say, the ESC will only accept one change at a time, then goes through its start up routine. The first three settings I did not have to change, so the stick stayed in the high position. The next stem was the Lipo cutoff setting and I picked my choice with a down throttle. Went through saving the setting, then spooled up right beside me.
Quick reaction was to get the TX off of Stunt mode. Reaction time was good, but the path my hand took to get to that switch crossed as the heli tipped to the left.
The blades, yes two strikes, hit right on the outside of my Left index finger. Instant squirter. A rush to the sink to wash out the cut and it was probably like a stuck pig.
About 30 minutes of constant pressure sealed it up enough for me to put a drop or two of CA glue across the slice.
I was sweating pretty hard at the first sign of that blood. Good old Boy Scout first aid training kicked in and well. Here it is 45 minutes later. I have full motion of the finger, just feels like i got cracked with wrench that slipped off a bolt.
450 finger.jpg
Pant leg, first blood!
First blood.jpg
So before any of you other guys do any programming on your ESC, do yourself and Me a favor and remove those blades.

The look on day 2. The top cut into the skin the lower one just whacked it enough to blood blister and bruise to the bone.
Day 2 Finger.jpg

450 finger.jpg

First blood.jpg

Day 2 Finger.jpg

Last edited:

EyeStation

Thanks Derek. I'm still tryin to figure out how this thing started up while in Stunt mode. I know when a battery is freshly connected and the TX is in Stunt, (Idle Up), the ESC beeps and does not arm the motor. Apparently there is a glitch here when in set-up mode.
At least it was in slow spool up mode before it happened.
Thank goodness I can still cross fingers in both hands, hoping that this does not even come close to happening again.

And you can tell by the hits that my blade tracking is off a bit, lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom