Spektrum SAFE and the DX6e

bigone5500

Is this Tx not able to use SAFE mode? I have read the manual and looked online but can't find how to set it up. I want to use it with my AR7210BX.

Any ideas?

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I'm sorry to say but I think you have to pay for that set up. Optional SAFE® software and firmware updates can be uploaded with the Spektrum USB programmer (SPMA3030). Both the SAFE software and programmer are sold separately.

bigone5500

I have contacted spektrum to see what they say. It says it in the manual that I can enable it but you have me doubting now. I'll let you know what they say.

murankar

Staff member
I think what dog is saying that the gyro does not have it, but you can upgrade it though a paid update. Sounds like Mikado and their VBar Neo.

bigone5500

I think what dog is saying that the gyro does not have it, but you can upgrade it though a paid update. Sounds like Mikado and their VBar Neo.
Ahhh... I see. Well I guess I'll get a price quote in the mail then..LOL!

Kinda like my Rigol DS2072A oscilloscope. It came as a 2channel unit with 70Mhz 2GSa/Sec. but to get the most from it you have to spend an extra $1000 or so for a fully decked out unit. But that one can be hacked easily. It's now a 300Mhz unit all decked out.

Now let's hack the Beast!

bigone5500

They confirmed that the SAFE bailout mode is in fact on the Rx I have. They said it normally is a firmware upgrade that cost $100. I found this info here:

bigone5500

I wonder if horizon hobby would help me over the phone. I may call them later and see. Only thing is, it's usually a long wait in line. At least for me it has been.

bigone5500

I wanted to post this and see if anyone else gathers what I did from this video. From what they say, SAFE (bailout) is included on the 270 CFX. Check this out and let me know what you think.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey Big. Right around 4:25, he mentions that your getting a $100.00 value firmware for free where the 360 doesn't. Pretty much you do have bailout according to what they say.

bigone5500

I am currently waiting on a reply from spektrum on how to program my DX6e to work with SAFE. I will post here what they say. After I program my Tx for my 270 I will post the spm file.

Tony

Staff member
Awesome! I don't have the heli or the tx, but it will be nice to know how to set it up.

bigone5500

So this is the latest reply from HH:

You cannot setup Safe on any Spektrum transmitter. Safe is a feature in the receiver. Safe is born at the factory and cannot be adopted into a receiver. If you have a plane where the receiver uses Safe and need help programming, we need to know what Safe plane you have and what Spektrum transmitter are using for the plane with Safe.

I replied to them:

So how can I activate the bailout feature while flying my 270 CFX using my DX6e? I am very confused. Which switch makes it save itself? Or is it the Bind/I key?

I will report back when they reply.

bigone5500

HH replied and referred me to the setup instructions included with the heli. They said the panic mode is setup with switch 'A'. So I suppose when I have a panic attack, I flip switch 'A'.

270cfxsetup.png

Tony

Staff member
Okay, so it is switch A, but what channel is it running on?...

If you look under gyro, it also states Switch A, but this is for the tail gain, not SAFE mode... Very interesting....

bigone5500

It must be a setting in the Rx itself. I took the heli out just now and tested it. I spooled it up and hit the switch A then immediately hit the throttle cut. It jumped up about 2 feet in the air and looked pretty good. Later after I have gone back through the heli and made sure I have loctited (is that a word?) all necessary threads, I'll take it out and give it a go.

Tony

Staff member
Thread Locked... Loctite is a brand name lol.

But awesome that it actually seems to work. Now we just need video of it in the air!

bigone5500

Ok. SAFE is enabled. Here is a video showing what to check.

If your AR7210BX has SAFE, and it is enabled, then when you power your heli it will show a blue led then glow red for 8 seconds and return to blue. Parameter menu L glows purple solid indicating bailout rescue with collective.

All is good.

Top Bottom