600 SAB Goblin tail belt tension question

holtneil

Hi Guys I hope one of you Goblin guys can tell me if this is right , in the manual it tells you to pre-load the tail belt tensioner by 270 degs , 270 degs is a bit strange I pre-loaded it by 360 degs and locked it with a carbon rod to the outside of the frame to hold it there I then pulled back on the tail to tension the belt and locked the tail with the belt tight , I then let the belt tensioner go so its now at about 270 degs and is holding the belt nicely the tail adjustment is at half its adjustable travel , Is this the right way to set up as I dont want to over tension the belt , the Idler is sitting level with the side of the frame as the manual said

Heliman450

Hi holtneil, the guy I found for my Spirit gyro is a Goblin dealer. His store is full of really cool Goblin monsters, below is his website link. I was very impressed with his approach to things, if you can't get your info from here or your own supplier give him a try. Mention that you got the contact from me, maybe he'll remember me.

Modellsport.ch | Der Onlineshop

Good luck!

holtneil

Hi Rodney Not really most says the tensioner is just a guide to show if the belt is tight enough , most guys say you have to pull the snot out of the tail to get the belt really tight , I cant see that SAB would have you do this as the heli is so well thought out , I have not seen any other manuals that give you detailed info as if you used this motor use this head speed and this ESC , So I am going to leave it to how I set up the belt is tight does not look too tight and the tensioner it where the manual say have it ,so only time will tell

Heliman450

Hi holtneil, I was just browsing through my Model Helicopter World (digital version) for November/December and it features a Goblin Urukay build. They don't explain much about the tensioning process but when I look at the tensioner assembly on page 44, I would relate the 270 degrees to the face of a clock. Starting with the tensioner in the upright or 12 o'clock position and moving it around clockwise to the 9 o'clock position (that is 360 divided by 4 equals 90 and 3 times 90 gives 270 or three quarters around the clockface).

Check it out and see if it makes sense along with the assembly instructions.

holtneil

HI Heliman450 yes it does this is how I sort of did it , but I keep being told its not to tension the belt its just a guide and when its in the right position the belt is tight enough ? I may have to email SAB to ask them they do say pre-tension

Heliman450

HI Heliman450 yes it does this is how I sort of did it , but I keep being told its not to tension the belt its just a guide and when its in the right position the belt is tight enough ? I may have to email SAB to ask them they do say pre-tension

Hi holtneil, not having seen a picture of the belt in position, from what you've described.... "pull the snot out of the tail to get the belt really tight" seems a bit extreme to me. I'd think that provided the belt is reasonably tight, then turning the guide/tensioner back -90 degrees would achieve both objectives i.e. tightening the belt a bit more and acting as a guide without over-tensioning the belt. Maybe a photo of the assembled tail with the belt tensioner shown would help others to advise. The photos in MHW didn't show the assembled tail/belt, only the tensioner.

holtneil

Hi Island Breeze well I fitted the belt pull it tight after the tensioner was pre loaded by 360 degs once belt was tight the tensioner was allowed to go onto the belt its is holding tight and is lined up with side of frame as in the manual and looks to be at 270 degs , but cant get a yes thats right or no its not lol

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
This what tensioner should look like not loaded
image.jpg

But what you described is about right. Some folks like their belt a little tighter, that's all up to you and your flight style.

image.jpg

holtneil

Hi mate mine was like that at start then the manual said preload clockwise by 270 degs so I found it easier to preload by 360 degs lock it to the side of the frame , then pull belt tight ( tail adjustment is in the middle of its travel) lock the tail adjuster , then let the tensioner go it sits tight to the belt at about 270 degs , I fly gentle really ,the goblin is a waste on me as I dont to 3D ,I just love the bird and how they sound and I promised the wing commander it would be my last heli so always wanted one so now have my flag ship

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
Hi mate mine was like that at start then the manual said preload clockwise by 270 degs so I found it easier to preload by 360 degs lock it to the side of the frame , then pull belt tight ( tail adjustment is in the middle of its travel) lock the tail adjuster , then let the tensioner go it sits tight to the belt at about 270 degs , I fly gentle really ,the goblin is a waste on me as I dont to 3D ,I just love the bird and how they sound and I promised the wing commander it would be my last heli so always wanted one so now have my flag ship

Seems you got it right on bro lol ya don't get your commander mad. Just enjoy, be safe and have fun

holtneil

Well Guys its a long slow job the KST HV coreless digital servos that ment to be here today , well not till Tuesday now , any way got the castle ESC 120 amp HV esc , thats all fitted set up and tested, tail servo extension lead in place ready they say do this so if the worst happens the tail breaks away it does not rip the wire out of the servo
Ands thats about it for now have a massive list of parts needed after Xmas ,so the Goblin is a shelf queen again till then lol

holtneil

Update on build I set up the Castle edge 120 amp HV ESC to fixed RPM governor mode with the head speed of N= 2100 Idle1= 2150 Idle2= 2180 so this gives me a flat throttle curves of N=30% Idle1=70% Idle2=100% and then throttle hold is the fun switch ON :biggrin1: and OFF :sad2:

holtneil

Well Postie came to day , I now have the KST HV digital coreless servos , so thats more I can do over Xmas

holtneil

Hi Guys the build has stopped , I got some KST coreless digital servos and SODs law kicked in tail servo DOA 1 cyclic servo DOA , oh well have to find some thing else to do nowDSCF1267.jpgDSCF1262.jpgDSCF1266.jpgDSCF1259.jpg

DSCF1259.jpg

DSCF1262.jpg

DSCF1266.jpg

DSCF1267.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom