700 SAB Goblin 700 - My Thought's

jamiem

As you may or may not be aware, I've had a bit of an unhealthy obsession with the Goblin since the first pictures and videos were released last year. It looks nuts, sounds incredibly unique, and is just one of those machines that I had to have, sooner or later ;)

Roll on to this week and a very good mate made me an deal I really couldn't say no to, despite being in the middle of buying my first house (how I've still got both my testicles after breaking the news to the other half I'l never know!). It arrived Thursday and instantly I was in love! The first thing I noticed though, was that SAB have changed the paint design since the first batch kits (this is a latest 4th batch kit), where the boom is a solid fluro yellow, instead of the green/yellow fade, and the same for the tail fin and skids. While in pictures I actually prefer the older original style, in the flesh this is so bright it's unreal, and I love it. It was built (being 2 flights old!) but obviously I wanted to check it over properly, so I set about checking the various assemblies. It is incredibly simple in design, with some really nice little design features, like the motor to main shaft belt tensioner, tail belt tensioner, in-built pitch marks on the grips and head block etc etc. I had a slight issue with a sheared bolt below the face of a standoff in the boom, but after a bit of swearing and heating, I had it out and replaced. The rest of the (re)build was issue free, and a dream to work on. I trasferred all of the gear from my 700e v2; Align 700mx 510kv, ICE2 120HV, MKS HBL665/669 HV servo's, Full size V-Bar v5.1pro, Opti 2s 2150 and Opti 6s 5000's.

On to the field and today was it's maiden. The weather was near perfect; broken cloud, little wind, and reasonably mild. I was nervous for obvious reasons, but it was totally uneventful. I have 3 governed headspeeds; 1800, 2000 and 2200. 1800 is fine, powerful, smooth quiet, 2000 is plenty agile enough for almost anything, but lets be honest, this is a bit of a nutjob of a machine, so 2200 is where it's at! I've had 4 flights in total, and I'm hooked. It's a very aggresive machine, and has the fastest/sharpest collective response of any machine I've ever flown. Weight wise my Goblin is about 150g heavier than Dave Rands similar 700e v2, likely caused by the full size vbar versus mini, and the 2s rx pack versus bec on his. In flight however, this feels very light, and quite different to my 700e v2.

Overall thoughts? Awesome. Some nice design features, battery fitting and removal is a total **** of a job though, especially compared to the 700e v2 and its sliding locking battery tray (although I need to get hold of a piece of carbon/plastic to help fitting after watching Ross Gashead fit his packs at charmouth). The paint job itself is very good, however on a kit of this cost, it wouldn't have hurt to layer on the lacquer a bit more to help blend the different layers and edges/steps in, but this is a minor grumble, and is an improvement over the first batch kits I've seen. In flight it looks and sounds awesome and it couldn't be much brighter (possibly only with an Opti canopy/boom fitted?! :D). It has genuinely lived up to every bit of hype I've read about it, but it really does suit a high headspeed, so be aware if planning to run it lower, that it will do it, but I suspect you won't be getting the best from it, by far.

Maiden:

3rd Flight:

5918e361.jpg

b61c9936.jpg

0e8ec1f6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
Fair warning, it's not my fault if Lee bans you for getting one of these before him :lmao:

That is a great looking helicopter and sounds sick in the air. Hope to see more flights out of this one.

wolfman76

LOL too funny tony and i deff. agree that is without a doubt next to the 3d rigid of course the sickest looking and sounding heli i have ever seen it is close for me though man but i think i like the goblin a lil more though is close though.... good deal man can't wait to c some more videos of it...

jamiem

It's a stunning machine, both visually and mechanically, and in the air? Just awesome. I really can't wait to get out with it again!

Lee

I saw your videos last night mate. I'm so jealous. If you have any more friends that have a deal you can't pass up on a Goblin, let me know. I really want one. Have you flown the 7HV? On paper, i'm weighing up between the two.

jamiem

I've not seen or flown a 7HV, but I think the canopy is ugly IMO. Mind you, I also think the Goblin is a love it/hate it kind of thing, and obviously I love it! Either machine will no doubt be awesome, but the Goblin is just so different to anything else out there, and that's one of the reasons I love it aesthetically :)

Lee

I'm with you on that one Jamie. The Goblin is just a Sick looking machine and the 7HV canopy is a bit boring. The kit is quite a bit cheaper than the Goblin which is a factor for me. Maybe counting the pennies on a 700 is a sign that I shouldn't have one right now. I need to win the lottery or i might sell my Downhill Mountain bike, that would pay for it :D

murankar

Staff member
If you want Lee I can donate a kidney or lung for you! lol. Actually let me rethink that, how about a dollar/pound/euro if it helps you get closer. If I do I have to fly it at some point. That bird is just so wicked sounding int he air, my god those blades really have a cool sound to them.

Jamie, did you use those MKS servos on it or did you settle for something a little more lower end. I think every video I have seen (not many) of this heli people used the MKS on it. It would be almost a sin not to.

jamiem

Yes the MKS servos are fitted and are nuts. Seriously powerful, accurate, quiet and efficient. They are only using around 180mA per flight, which is pretty incredible really.

The packs are 2x 6s 5000 Optipower's and a 2s 2150 flight pack and are performing very well considering they are 65 cycles old. I had some new ones arrive yesterday, can't wait to give them a blast tomorrow!

Top Bottom