450 rubbing gear on blade 400

hawk-i

Ok moving on to my next issue. I have a blade 400 that I recently set down too hard. Hard enough to bend a feathering shaft. Upon replacing the main and feathering shafts the main gear now wants to rub the body of the helicopter. Any ideas how I screwed this up? Thanks in advance for any advise.

Dirk

Is the frame not perhaps cracked? Maybe a main shaft bearing has moved? I don't know the Blade helis at all, so I am just taking a guess here. I am sure someone will come up with a solution to your problem.

Tony

Staff member
When you say "body", do you mean the canopy, or the frame? If the canopy, then it probably got warped when you set it down hard. If the frame, you might have lost a shim that sets on top of the main gear. Grab your manual, or download one, and check to make sure you have all of the parts in there that should be there.

hawk-i

When I said body I meant the body of the frame. not the canopy. And yes I have a manual and it shows no spacer between gear and bearing . I know both my trex clones use a brass spacer but the blade does not show one. I checked the bearing and they don't appear to have moved. But that's about all the info I have right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and thanks for the reply Dirk but I don't see a crack in the frame anywhere. I may charge out the main gear just because I have one. If it don't cure the problem I'll still have a good used one.

Tony

Staff member
The only other thing that I can think of is the lower block moved up and needs to be pushed down. Without seeing the heli, it's kinda hard to say.

RMB677

I've recently developed the same problem with my Blade 450. I'm quite sure that I did put the spacer back in during my last rebuild, besides it started sometime after the rebuild. I see from your photo that your's uses a collar on the main shaft for positioning, mine has a "ring" machined on the shaft. Can you loosen the ring and push the shaft down a hair? As for me, I'll wait till the next disassembly and see if I can find a bit thicker spacer. Plastic rubbing against plastic shouldn't be too bad, I hope.

Tony

Staff member
my only guess would be there has to e a shim in there, but you said it doesn't require one. I have never had my hands on these. However, looking at picture 1, it doesn't look like there are any bolts in the lower main shaft block.

Slobberdog

On the eflite drawing it shows a 1mm shim between the main and tail gear, see what you have in there maybe its too thick, in your photo there seems to be a big gap between the two gears,

hawk-i

split gear.jpg Thanks to all I took Slobberdogs advice and checked the thickness of the washer between the main and tail gear. That's when I found the crack in the main gear straight up and down the bearing area. I missed it on the first teardown. But after gear replaced everything looks peachy now.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way RMB677 you may want to check your gear also. I got a blade 450 also and I'm pretty sure the gear is put together the same way. Just a thought.

split gear.jpg

Top Bottom