FBL Gyro ROCK-5 Gyro Settings (HeliPal STORM 450)

Bruno

So, after a major explosion in midair (I think it was due to the servo holder slipping off the main shaft) I rebuilt the heli and installed Align DS 415M digital Servos. I have everything running smooth, balanced and calibrated.

First warm day here in Jersey since I rebuilt the heli about a month ago.

I take her out and I notice she fails to head hold. I take her up (figure what the hell) and the tail simply spins/rotates clockwise. I was proud that she maintained level flight and I landed her twice without a problem.

Are you able to help? I am not sure what is up. The Rock-5 gyro lights up with a blue light and seems to calibrate fine. Tail servo is set with full limits and is not binding.

What should the WFLY WFT07H radio gyro settings be....?

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Lee

Have you looked at my Gyro set up thread? The link is at the bottom of this post. Check that everything is working according to my pictures. As for the radio. If the gyro percentage runs from 0% to 100%, start with the gyro gain at about 60% .

Bruno

Have you looked at my Gyro set up thread? The link is at the bottom of this post. Check that everything is working according to my pictures. As for the radio. If the gyro percentage runs from 0% to 100%, start with the gyro gain at about 60% .

Checked out your link and it helped me realize two things.
1) the gyro is compensting in the right direction.
2) the heli spins when spooling up independent of reversing the radio gyro setting. Should I recerse the gyro direction on the gyro itself?

Mind you this all worked fine earlier. I did nothing with the gyro or the tail servo.

I am bewildered (not that it takes much).

Please help.

Last edited:

Westy

LEGEND
Here is a safe way to know you have correct things set up. Couple of quick checks

On the ground With the Heli in Heading hold mode.......

when you give the rudder stick a slam to the right ..... and release it ... does it return to the centre ? or stay where it is?

No binding on tail slider or linkages?

return the slider to nuetral position, fold the top and bottom blades forward and move the tail to the right...... the blade on the top should move to the right.

What is the range on your Gyro on your Tx? -100 to +100? or 0 o 100.... makes a big difference.

Get back to us with the above results and we will go from there.

Bruno

Here is a safe way to know you have correct things set up. Couple of quick checks

On the ground With the Heli in Heading hold mode.......

when you give the rudder stick a slam to the right ..... and release it ... does it return to the centre ? or stay where it is?

No binding on tail slider or linkages?

return the slider to nuetral position, fold the top and bottom blades forward and move the tail to the right...... the blade on the top should move to the right.

What is the range on your Gyro on your Tx? -100 to +100? or 0 o 100.... makes a big difference.

Get back to us with the above results and we will go from there.

1) stays where it is.
2)no binding.
3) it does.
4) 0 to 100.

Thank you.

Westy

LEGEND
good .... what is the gyro gain set to?

- - - Updated - - -

So it tries to spin clockwise? or CCW?...... usually if the gain is too low, the heli will try to spin CCW

Lee

If you followed the pictures in my thread, you should be good. You said the gyro is compensating correctly, then you don't need to change the switch on the gyro. You didn't mention if the tail moved the correct way with stick input?
If thats ok. Then the spinning on spool up could just be you're spooling up too quickly so as the motor kicks in, the torque spins the heli. Try very gradually adding throttle and make sure the heli is on a grippy surface.

Bruno

If you followed the pictures in my thread, you should be good. You said the gyro is compensating correctly, then you don't need to change the switch on the gyro. You didn't mention if the tail moved the correct way with stick input?
If thats ok. Then the spinning on spool up could just be you're spooling up too quickly so as the motor kicks in, the torque spins the heli. Try very gradually adding throttle and make sure the heli is on a grippy surface.

When I move the stick right the slider moves right.
Gyro gain set to 70.
She spins clockwise during hover.

- - - Updated - - -

It's like, while she is spinning clockwise during a hover or spool up she won't correct with opposite direction stick input.
I am going to re-check all linkage and slider for free movement. Maybe there is some slight binding that is not evidencing itself with stick movement but that I may detect by isolating each linkage component.

Tony

Staff member
If the storm 450 tail is setup like the Align 450 tail, then when you push the stick to the right, the slider should go left. If you had it in the air, when you push the stick right, the nose should turn to the right.

Lee

I dont mention the slider in my photos for the reason that some helis have different mechanics. Its the blade leading edge you need to look at. Top blade looking from the back, Left stick blade points right, right stick blade points left. Push tail right blade points left, push tail left blade points right. Check that again. If that is all correct then we can check from there.
Good luck

Bruno

If the storm 450 tail is setup like the Align 450 tail, then when you push the stick to the right, the slider should go left. If you had it in the air, when you push the stick right, the nose should turn to the right.

Tony, I was mistaken, stick to the right, slider moves left as you indicated.

Tony, Lee, and others, I learned that the problem is that the tail rotor drive belt is twisted in the wrong direction. This causes the tail rotor to turn in same relative direction as the main rotors. I will flip the belt and see what happens.

Thanks Much!! :strawberry:

Tony

Staff member
Ah yeah, that will cause issues. Instead of the blades staying centered, they will 'pop' one direction or the other with the trailing edge actually leading. Let us know how everything works out.

Bruno

I dont mention the slider in my photos for the reason that some helis have different mechanics. Its the blade leading edge you need to look at. Top blade looking from the back, Left stick blade points right, right stick blade points left. Push tail right blade points left, push tail left blade points right. Check that again. If that is all correct then we can check from there.
Good luck

I think I learned waht is causing the rotation problem. Tail drive belt is twisted in wrong direction causing tail rotor to rotate in same relative direction as the main rotor.

I'll let you know if this fixes the problem.

Any help on the settings below:

QUESTION, In terms of the radio gyro setting:

Radio: HeliPal: WFLY, WFT07H.

HeliPal, Jacky Lee recommends the following:

Mode = Norma
Mix = ON
POSI = NORMA
RATE: 60% to 70%/80%

What is the difference between the following:

Mode choices: NORMA & AVCS
Mix: ON & OFF
POSI: NORMA, IDLE & HOLD

Last edited:

Westy

LEGEND
I think I learned waht is causing the rotation problem. Tail drive belt is twisted in wrong direction causing tail rotor to rotate in same relative direction as the main rotor.

When you rotate the main rotor... the tail blades should be "washing" up into the main rotor so basically the rotor at the closes radius to the main rotor... should be washing air up into the main rotor - so if you had the heli at nose left orientation and looked at the tail rotor and slowly spun the main rotor in the correct direction ... the blades will wash up in a clockwise direction... hope that makes sense.

I'll let you know if this fixes the problem.

Any help on the settings below:

QUESTION, In terms of the radio gyro setting:

Radio: HeliPal: WFLY, WFT07H.

HeliPal, Jacky Lee recommends the following:

Mode = Norma
Mix = ON
POSI = NORMA
RATE: 60% to 70%/80%

What is the difference between the following:

Mode choices: NORMA & AVCS Norma = Rate mode (Gyro has no influence on the tail) this means when you move right or left rudder & return to centre stick, the slide will instantly return to the centre... With AVCS mode (Heading Hold Mode) this is where the gyro will hold the tail in its location and act agains torque and external influences such as wind or power off - and the slider will stay where you left it until you either ,,, move the tail or add the opposite stickinput
Mix: ON & OFF
POSI: NORMA, IDLE & HOLD Normal Flight mode... Idle Up or Stunt Mode and Throttle hold mode

Last edited:

Bruno

I genuinely appreciate your assistance and knowledge. It allmakes more sense now.

Seems the WFLY/HELIPAL radio has some limitations.

According to Jacky Lee, Helical:

NORMAL and AVCS is not big difference on this WFLY transmitter, plese just use NORMAL mode, 0-50% is Rate gyro mode, no body use it anymore. 51-100% is Head Hold gyro mode, all people use this, 51% is almost no gyro, 100% is super sensitive, so adjust this number until you get stable tail.POSI means what fly mode you are using. For normal hovering and flying around, we use NORMAL fly mode, for 3D flying, we flip the front panel, right corner switch downward, that's IDLE mode. For Throttle Hold, it's the left corner switch on the transmitter side, that's the Throttle Hold.Gyro can have 3 different settings for those 3 different fly modes.

No explanation on the "MIX" Mode? (Options: ON or INH)

- - - Updated - - -

I had her in a brief hover yesterday (windy day) and all seemed fine.

I will take her out on a more calm day and assess responses to tail movement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom