Quad RIP little V949

Stambo

Well after flying at least 2 batteries but regularly 4 or 5 and sometimes more than 10 almost every day since I got it, I have finally killed my V949. I have had it close to 6 months, that's a lot of flying.
I have to say it has been the best $50 I have ever spent on a toy.
I was flying today with it and noticed some very strange behavior.
One corner kept dipping and then recovering.
I landed and gave it a squirt with the magic silicon spray and it seemed to fix it so off I went for some more flights.
I was up quite high and it did it again but did not recover.
I picked it up and it was still in one piece but when I tried to run it that motor was very sluggish.
I could probably get another motor and have it flying again but after the countless crashes and abuse I think it deserves retirement. The other motors have done the same amount of work, the electronics are in such a state that I have to put it on an angle when I plug it in so it will fly straight, the canopy is held together with tape, it has definitely seen better days.
Besides I have another one already!!! :)
I enjoy this thing so much that I got another BNF version just in case this happened. At $36 I don't think it's even worth contemplating repairing the battered one.
Now I have to decide when I buy another one, do I get the V949 again or do I go for the new V212 like Westy got.
I have some nano fpv gear that was gonna go on the new V949 but all reports say the V212 is even more stable so that may be the answer.
I just need to find out whether the parts I have for the V949 will fit the V212.
These little quads are just so addictive.

WyDiablo

Sorry to hear the lose, but it sounds like you recovered pretty nicely lol. I took the hexa out this morning while the wind was quite still . And after seeing how quick it recovered after stick release I decided to leave the gains as they are right now. It hovered very very nice and the gps was working great also success at last lol.

Westy

LEGEND
DUDE ..... that thing rocks .....

I have run about 40 batteries through mine .... got some good highspeed figure 8's both tail in and turning into the figure 8 ... also doing some awesome funnells! I am abolutely enjoying hte snot out of this ..... even in the wind .... gets blown around a bit ... but that makes it all the much more fun.... Even my son is enjoying it .... we had to do our first repar today when he cam in pretty hot and splat rolled from the lawn to the concrete ... one of the blades was making a ticking noise ... So I made him fix it under my instruction .... Just had some concrete and dirt jammed in the high speed gear on one prop...

6 Mins later we are at it again.

I should get some vid of it in action!!! puts a grin from ear to ear on a man!

Stambo

When 1 quad dies there is another to take its place. Law of the flyers :)

Yup that's the plan, never leave myself with nothing to fly.
My 450 quad is coming along nicely too now, another couple batteries out the back of work today.
Slowly tweaking the kk2 board to get everything working right.
It self levels almost as well as the V949 now.
I am even getting brave enough to take it out in some light winds.
The change in it's behavior by changing from 9x4.7 to 8x4.5 props is unbelievable.
I feel a proper FPV flight is getting nearer.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah Westy, I knew you would enjoy it.
I have found out that the V212 will not bind to a 9x. :(
Too late I already ordered one, I will try it with the stock tx but I may end up on selling it from work and get another 949 or maybe a 959.
At least I know they work with the 9x.
The 959 has little skids like your 212.
Maybe I just put the 949 board on the 212. Then I can use the 9x with it.
I want to FPV one of these little suckers, I already have the gear.

Westy

LEGEND
... I did not know that it was not 9x compatible.

you should be able to get good coin for it as there is nothing of that quality here.... you would be able to get about $120 - 150 for it I think!

Westy

LEGEND
Just burnt through another 5 batteries .... charging all up now .... the TX seems to go though 15 - 20 heli bats before regarging them is needed.

I am really finding the reality thing quite good for my orientation on high speed heli manoeuvre's. Tail down funnels (Pie dish -UK) I find on my TREX 600 I emotionally nerve out when getting to 6 o'clock with the skids to me ... I bail and add tail and get it to go past me sideways instead ... I am finding this quad is really good for teaching me slow mo and fast speed ... what I am supposed to be doing as far as stick imputs .... and what not to do! and it does not hurt at all!

Stambo

I just did another 2 batteries on the 450 quad. Now that I'm getting the KK2 dialled in it's getting better each flight.
Or maybe I am getting better each flight. Maybe both. :)
I am getting 14 minutes per battery and I have 3 so by the time I use one, put it on the charger and use up the other 2 the first is ready to use again. That's almost an hour of flight time.
I'm starting to throw it around a bit now, gaining confidence with each battery.
I credit the hours of throwing the V949 about as part of the reason also.
I guess I better nail a cam to my head so I can show you guys some vids of it flying.
Maybe it's about time I dusted off that Trex and put it up in the air again.

- - - Updated - - -

... I did not know that it was not 9x compatible.

you should be able to get good coin for it as there is nothing of that quality here.... you would be able to get about $120 - 150 for it I think!

Someone on tradme selling the v949 for $70 so I reckon I can get close to a $100 for the V212 if I display it at work.

Stambo

Just did another 4 batteries!!!!! 2 twilight .... 2 total blackness! Awesome!!!!

Yeah they fun with the lights on.
I think I need to find the lights I had on the Trex and mount them on my 450.
I can set them up so I can adjust the brightess with a dial on my tx.

Westy

LEGEND
nice!

I just pressed the button on the little heli you flew here.... My son is showing interest now he has flown 10 batteries on the Quad! ...... so I talked him into buying the heli and we can share!

Won't be long before he will hopefully want the real thing!!!! ... thenit wil lbe 2 on one vs the Wife! LMAO ..... Victory! Strenth in numbers...

Stambo

The best thin you can do there is
TEACH THE WIFE TO FLY!!!
Get the control of the little heli in her hands.
You never know what might happen. :)
Those things can take as much of a beating as the little quads.

Whirlybird

I tossed my little Quadie around yesterday. About 5 mph wind, but it flew really great. These little guys are awesome :hdbng:

Stambo

I regularly fly mine in that and more. You have to fight your way up wind but when you turn around they can really move.
Try some down wind flights at a foot or two above the ground. Good fun until you mess it up. :)

Westy

LEGEND
They are rock solid! and strong .... I have had about 50 smack downs .... and all good .... blades getting a little bent up .... just bend it back and go for it!

Top Bottom