700 rich or lear?

brent

Hey guys,
went out with the 700n today and it took ages to start the first time even after pre pressurizing the tank and fuel line, once it was warm it started first pop.
I know the high needle is to rich because after hard tic tocs I'm coming down at 140f
I think the idle needle is okay because it idles well and transitions from idle to spool up real smooth?

But.... last couple of flights after some pretty good 3d when I come into land and hit throttle hold I can tell somethings not tuned right because when I hit hold just before landing the engine goes "ding ding ding ding ding" but returns to a good idle when I take hold off in normal mode.
Is this caused by the mid needle been to rich and would that also explain the hard to start?

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Hitting throttle hold and hearing reding ding ding ding

Is either :

Idle too high, where your clutch Is dragging on the bell now being driven by be blades / momentum of the drive train.

Lean condition.. The engine is lean and needs you to Richen it up. Temperature is irrelevant in 91 and above motors. Too cool can just mean that by the time you land, your crank case with huge fins, does it's job and starts to cool down. Same with high idle, high idle pushes more air to the head, and will cool it down.

I am posting videos of my pretty well tuned whiplash 90.. It has a 91HZ-R 3D speed engine in it .. And hitori pipe. After a flight, I can hold my finger on back plate and stay there like its too rich.

I might be a smidge too rich, but I know I am
Not rich enough to show cold back plate :) .. So my two cents will be to tune by your ear and helis performance .. Tic tocs for mod needle, hurricanes for high.. And so forth. Seems like you do know what you are doing. But if you need help let me know :)

Is this a new motor? Have you broken it in already?

Gaba

brent

Hi Gaba, Hey thanks heaps for taking the time to reply it really helps.
I brought the heli second hand, the last guy ran it on blue cool power oil but I use red so had to lean it out a lot when I got it,
Had it flying where I was really happy with it using a Curtis young blood mp90 pipe but it cracked on the flange where it bolts to the head so replaced it with a hitori 929 which has changed it again.
I'm straight away thinking the hold Idle is to high now you've pointed it out as it was grabbing a little when I started it in hold (could be why its hard to start?) and stops going ding ding after landing in hold then going to normal.
If the wind doesn't pick up here to much I'll get out there at lunch drop the idle tear around a bit more and start the tuning again.
Thanks again I'll let you know how I get on after a flight.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Yeah sure please let me know

Changing the pipe changes the engine tune completely. It will make it too lean or too rich..

Little grab isn't bad.. And yes ding ding will stop on landing regardless of high idle or lean . Be careful

Just getting to know you, but how familiar are you with "HELI" nitro..? It's completely different than planes . :)

Please let me know. You bought this used. Did you tune it when you got it, and how does the ring look like? :)

brent

Okay, got a couple of flights in at lunch,
leaned the high needle out another couple of clicks richened the mid needle a few and lowered the hold idle.
The ding ding in t.h. is gone and the clutch isn't grabbing anymore.
Flew it round as hard as I could had plenty of smoke all the time but came down around 80f which makes me think I need to lean the high needle out some more which I tried but thought it wasn't smoky enough.
was trying to film it but was having problems with my mobius camera I'll go try sort that out now and get some footage tomorrow.
Also Just wondering what tail gains you have in your Tx for your whiplash? I was getting wag when going big fast and am down to 37% for Iu2 where as a friend of mine (flying electric) gets no wag at 55% I have mine mounted milton style (gel tape and cable through fuel tube) his is double sided taped straight to the mount
we both fly the tracx/brian/ikon
Still seems to hold fine but noticed a bit of wag with a hard stop at the end of a rainbow could of been me though.
This is my first Nitro heli never had nitro planes did have a nitro buggy once which only had one needle so was easy to tune.
Yes brought this heli second hand its a v1 but I put a dfc head and canopy on it.
The last guy ran it with blue cool power oil but I use red so had to lean it up just to get it to take off,
Checked piston and ring through the exhaust port and it looked brand new.

Top Bottom