Returning To The Hobby

Spencer

i recently purchased a Trex 800E (I couldn’t pass up the deal) it is a lot larger than I am used too. Previously I have owned a trex 450 and a trex 600e so I am some what familiar. It has been some time since I have flown so I have been working with a simulator and I am taking my time on the build. The heli is assembled I just need to set up the 3GX and purchase a new transmitter. I am sure I will be on here for help fairly often and looking forward to meeting people in the hobby

Eggy 71

Welcome to the group. I haven't come across many of us in Western Canada. There's been a few question and conversations about the 3gx, me included. It does the job but had a few issues especially on takeoff/landing. I liked it but with advice from the guys here switched to a Microbeast and the difference was night and day. Ikon is another great gyro. On an 800 size heli I'd really think about changing the 3gx out.

Tony

Staff member
Hey Spencer, welcome to RCH. As Derek stated, on that helicopter expecially, take that 3GX off and put on something better like the Ikon2. The 3GX is very weird, and the 800 is very expensive. Would hate to see it tip or have an issue on take off to cause it to crash.

:welcome1:

Smoggie

Hi Spencer, welcome to the forum. Flying the 800e should be very exciting after having a long break, but bigger helis are (IMHO) a lot easier to fly so providing it's set up ok then you will be fine.

I have to agree with the other guys though, the 3GX can be temperamental and unless you are familiar with it's little idiosyncrasies it's not the easiest of units to set up either. A cheap but effective option is the 'Full Size' Kbar which can be picked up off eBay for about $30.. The 'full size' is the one with the remote gyro sensor connected to the main unit with a cable. I've used them on 700 helis with no issue. There are of course many other options which are better still including the iKon2/Brain 2, the Spirit Pro and others.. but the price is higher of course.

Admiral

Welcome to the forum Spencer, Wow coming back with an 800, I think that great, I have found the bigger they are the easier they fly.
I agree with the others though, I would not be trusting the 800 to a 3GX, I had 3 and persisted with them for a long while but eventually got rid of them as I had too many incidents that weren't dumb thumbs.

I have BeastX, AR7200 and iKon and can't fault them as well as that I have an older 450 with a K-bar and that is incredible for the price no frills but flies very well.

Spencer

Well thank you for all the comments. I think I will be taking everyone’s advise and will remove the 3GX and switch to a micro beast. It will stall the take off day but I would be more comfortable after all the scary stories. I definitely want to protect the investment. Looking at a smaller heli soon as well

Smoggie

The Microbeast is a decent unit and some people swear by them but for me I'd much rather go the Brain2 route (the iKon2 is the same unit under a different name). The Brain2 has a much easier to follow PC based setup process but the big differentiation is that the Brain comes with self levelling stability and 'rescue' functionality right out of the box. This is a $100 upgrade to the Microbeast (plus $20 for the programming cable) so factor that into the initial purchase price.

The Brain also supports dual satellites which the Microbeast does not. The Brain has integration and telemetry feedback to Spektrum transmitters so you can program it and make field adjustment right from the LCD user interface on your Tx, again the Microbeast doesnt support any of this.

All thee same pluses go for the Spirit Pro too which is my personal favourite but it's a close thing between the Spirit and the Brain, they are both great.

sneezy007

Welcome to the forum Spencer, I'm in Calgary as well. Do you have a local club you belong too?

I agree with everyone here, but I would also like to add the Spirit Pro is an excellent unit with a rescue feature as well.

Cheers,
Dino

Top Bottom