Returning to r/c flying after 30 years

OLD MAN BILL

My first model was a goldberg falcon 56 and by 1983 i had some 15 various a/c with my favorite being a kaos 40. I built my own heathkit radio. Receiver. Servos and battery packs as well as all my models from either scratch or kits. I came back to the hobby in february to an culture shock of electric foam a/c with very hard to find any balsa kits. At present i have a flyzone cessna 182, sensi trainer and mini switch. I am in the process of building a gp pt 20 mkii kit (yeah for gp!) and am having a hard time finding what electric setup i can use in place of the called for os 25. That is my main reason for joining the rc-help forum. Once i learn a bit more i will attempt to post my questions about electric motors in the correct place. I look forward to enjoying rc-help as i learn to use it. Thanks for letting me ramble - old man bill

Derek

Hi there Bill! Welcome to the forum! Take your time and browse through the site. When you are read to post your questions, we are ready to help you out.

ANOTHER old man Bill??? Welcome! At least your into planes while I'm into helis so we won't be confused. . Your in a great place to find help so settle in and enjoy!

RandyDSok

Hi Bill...

For a 4.5-5lb plane... with about a 50+" wingspan... if you are going to fly it sport... probably an electric capable of between 800-1200w of power running a 3S-4S set of batteries. Some of your limiting issues will be how big of a prop you can swing on it... so you'll want to find how high it stands with it's landing gear before you select a motor. I think most of the motors in that power level will need a 12"-14" prop ( depending on battery setup )

I don't use cheap motors myself so I won't recommend one... but I do like Motrofly and Hackers

So look at the Motrofly DM2820-750 and DM2820-950 probably first... they are power houses and not too high of a price. In a Hacker, something like the A40-10S is probably about right

You can find Motrofly's at Motrolfly Motors

You can find Hacker's at https://www.aero-model.com/ ( as well as many other places I suspect )

PS... Motors in this class will likely use up to about 50a of current at peak give or take... so go with a 75A ESC/BEC ... I like Castle Creations ICE and ICE Lite series. Both of these series are the same with one difference... the ICE have bigger heat syncs in case you can't get a lot of air flow across the ESC... if air flow isn't an issue, the ICE Lites work great and save a little weight in the process.

OLD MAN BILL

Rdsok - thanks, you took care of a months frustration in a few minutes! Good old norman - spent three years at tinker in early sixties with good memories. This is my first use of this rc-help and i am still working on how to post questions so i am sure we will chat again. Thanks once more!

Tony

Staff member
Hey Bill, welcome to the forum. There is a "How-To" tab at the top of the forum that may help you with some of the questions you may have on the forum. And if that doesn't answer your questions, all you have to do is ask and we will help you out in any way we can. We are not like the other forums, no matter how small the question, or how many times it's been asked, we will answer it. We love seeing people getting back into this hobby.

:welcome1:

Ken Jackson

Welcome Bill from another OLD Man! I started with helicopters and this past spring started flying planes as well. I prefer the helicopters over the planes but by flying both my helicopter skills have improved tremendously. I will always fly both.

Ken

Top Bottom