FBL Gyro Rescue Function - Spirit Pro

Heliman450

Hi all,

Elsewhere in the Forum, I suggested that I'd produce a video of setting up my Spirit Pro gyro fitted to my T-Rex 550E. I wanted to include the actual process direct from the software on my Laptop. This required me to get hold of some software and I downloaded OBS Studio as my tool for achieving it. Having got the software working I decided to produce something to test out my presentation skills before making a bid for global stardom in the Internet..............

First testing was looking OK, but I decided that my knowledge of the Spirit software needed some review. I delved into it by researching how to activate the 'Rescue (Normal)' feature to advance my flying skills with some insurance in the background. In the past, my opinion of the user manual has been less than complimentary and I'd abandoned it in favour of learning by doing and have spent around 20 hours of stick time practising and enjoying the experience.

I started by opening up my user manual and began to feel that something didn't add up. I began my usual rewriting process to break the log jam. Shock and horror! I discovered that since following some advice from Steve last year regarding gyro settings I haven't actually been 'flying' with the 'Stabilisation (Normal)' feature activated as I'd thought.

The stabilisation features available under the 'Stabi' Tab are only activated with negative gyro settings and to activate the rescue feature during normal (Heading Hold mode) flight, it's necessary to programme the Tx. to "pulse" a negative gyro setting to the unit. There are some different ways to achieve this.

Apologies for starting this thread with a bit of rambling but I'm not sure whether to be pleased at having made such good progress despite not having the stabilisation feature activated or to be annoyed with myself for not sticking to my usual in-depth analysis of the manual's description of the 'Stabi' Tab features.

Today, I'll be continuing with improving my understanding and completing the setup process. Hopefully a video can fall out of this process soon.

Thanks to any readers who've taken the time to read this far.

Smoggie

Hi Phil,

Yes negative gain is required to activate any of the 'stabi' features. Sorry if I didnt make that clear. As you say, the good thing is that you were flying without the training wheels all this time!

On the newer versions of the software you can assign a channel to switch between the different stabilisation modes which is useful, failing that you can do it using flight mode switching. This would allow you to for instance, have stabilisation in normal flight but still be able to activate 'rescue' if you got into trouble.

Heliman450

Hi Steve,

No reason to apologise. It's so long ago now that it doesn't matter any more. I switched to the 'Heading Hold' mode and didn't waste my time trying to decipher the nonsense that is the Spirit manual. It didn't cause me any problems along the journey but now I'm thinking that I'd like it in the background. Incidentally, I decided not to activate the Axon features by my own choosing and have been impressed with the 700's stability without it.

Smoggie

Even if you dont use it in normal flight having stabilisation would potentially be useful for practising stuff like nose in hovers, so it's worth experimenting with.

Top Bottom