Servos Replacing Servos On Trex 600 Pro DFC

Derek

With the warmer weather coming, I've gotten more inspired to get my helicopters ready to fly. The servos on my 600 are 3 years old. They are Align DS 615M and DS 655M servos. HeliDirect seems to be very low on Align servo stock. ExperienceRC is also low on stock. So, what other servos do you 600 helicopter guys use and recommend? I will not be buying BK Servos, lol...just too much money.

Smoggie

Derek

Less than $200 for the full set of servos??? WOW! HV servos, no less! Double WOW! Thanks for that! That site is aliexpress.com. Do you know where they are located or where the servos would ship from?

Eggy 71

Nice price on those servos. Looking at the specs got me thinking. As the have better performance at higher voltages should we always set up the esc at the highest voltage or not. As an example the 550e I just got has a 5, 5.5 & 6v setting for the bec. What's the pros and cons to each setting?

Smoggie

Run at the highest voltage that your servos will take. 6V is fine for most standard servos. HV servos take up to 8.4V

Smoggie

Either get an ESC or BEC that has output in the range of 7.4-8.4V (BEC would be powered direct from flight pack) or the simple solution is to run off a 2S LiPo unregulated.

heli-maniac

Is till have the same 615s and 655 on my 550 they been on it for 5 years and have been in 3 crashes and still doing the job just fine . If I ever wear them out or kill them in a crash. Then Ill plan to change them to KST

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey there Derek. :agree: with superbad and smoogie. I like to put my name on that list of KST servos supporter :arms:. You know the area I fly. I had a few crashes here and there :bellyroll: the worst I had to do was to change out the servo gear inside. I Probably wouldn't of broke the servo gear at all if I use breakable servo arms, I'm guessing.

Derek

OK, do you use a 11.1v LiPo with a BEC that will reduce voltage to 8.4v or a little lower?

6v is not problem, just trying to figure out where to get 8.4v's from.

Dennis

On my 600, I have a 2S 2600mah pack that is run through a Castle Creations 20amp BEC Pro. This steps the voltage down to the 6.0v to power my servos and Ikon. Yes, it's odd that I'd run a 2S pack through a CC BEC Pro, but I was given this helicopter by a good friend of mine and the helicopter was given to me with that setup....I just never changed it.

Dennis H

Either get an ESC or BEC that has output in the range of 7.4-8.4V (BEC would be powered direct from flight pack) or the simple solution is to run off a 2S LiPo unregulated.

OK, I will have to find a BEC that will get between this range.

I was wanting the supply voltage to stay regulated and pretty even. Running a 7.4v 2s set up without an BEC, wouldn't the voltage vary a little bit?

Bottom line, I was wanting to get as close to a steady 8.0v's as possible, or a voltage as close to this as possible, and remain steady.

My goal is to get maximum speed out of my servo's with a constant steady voltage. Maybe I am asking to much.

Dennis

Derek

Yes, if you run a 2S pack, the voltage will vary. Running a 2S or 3S pack through a BEC will put out a constant and solid voltage that is determined by whatever you set the BEC at.

Dennis H

Yes, if you run a 2S pack, the voltage will vary. Running a 2S or 3S pack through a BEC will put out a constant and solid voltage that is determined by whatever you set the BEC at.

Exactly, this is what I want to do or accomplish.

So if I take a 3s pack, 11.1v's, with a BEC set between 7.4v-8.4V, then I should have constant maximum voltage available at all times.

Correct? now I have to find a BEC that produces the 7.4v-8.4V.

Any ideas before I start searching tomorrow? Well later today?

Dennis

Derek

Well Dennis, it depends on your model. Since you keep replying in my "600 Helicopter" thread, I'm going to assume that you are working on a 600 class helicopter. I have a Castle Creations 20amp BEC Pro on my 600. It has a wide range of voltages to select from via the Castle Link USB. I also have a Castle Creations 10amp BEC on my 450 and my two 500's. Both are set to pull 6.0v from the flight packs.

There are many other types of BEC's available. All my helicopter esc's are Castle Creations because "they just work" and they are easy to program.

I hope this helps!!!

Smoggie

Guys, yes the battery voltage will vary but it wont make any detectable difference to the performance of the servos. Even the top pros often use a 2S LiPo to power their HV servos, and if they can't detect any loss of performance then it's probably good enough for us too! For sure I can say from my own experience that there is no detectable difference as the battery voltage runs down, absolutely zero, nada, nothing..

Using a BEC and a seperate battery just adds unnecessary cost, weight and complexity, and a potential failure point. Also if you do use a BEC it needs to be a good one capable of supplying the high current these servos can demand.

If you want to use a BEC get an HV BEC and power it off the flight pack (no need for a seperate battery). BEC stands for 'Battery Eliminator Circuit', the whole point of a BEC is to eliminate the seperate Rx battery. The Castle BEC Pro is an HV BEC and will do a decent job, I use Gryphon Quasar HV BECs on a couple of my helis, they are good too and dont require a programming dongle like the Castle does.

Last edited:

Dennis H

Using a BEC and a separate battery just adds unnecessary cost, weight and complexity, and a potential failure point. Also if you do use a BEC it needs to be a good one capable of supplying the high current these servos can demand.

If you want to use a BEC get an HV BEC and power it off the flight pack (no need for a separate battery). BEC stands for 'Battery Eliminator Circuit', the whole point of a BEC is to eliminate the separate Rx battery. The Castle BEC Pro is an HV BEC and will do a decent job, I use Gryphon Quasar HV BECs on a couple of my helis, they are good too and don't require a programming dongle like the Castle does.

Yes, I am thinking of doing this with my 600 & 450.

But according to the above, Using a BEC and a separate battery just adds unnecessary cost, weight and complexity, and a potential failure point.

To sum it up, I thought the voltage needed to be "consistent" for the Servo's to operate properly. If not, I am wasting my time.

Then my conversation is over with. Again, I thought the voltage needed to be consistent and regulated.

Thanks for all the help and information,

Dennis

Smoggie

I can guarantee that you wont have any servo issues if you run HV servos off a 2S LiPo, I've flown several helis that way.

Top Bottom