Servos Replacing servos for Trex 500

Harford

I have been testing my Trex 500 ESP with its newly fitted Spartan Quark servo. Due to pilot error, I had an accident, and thought initially I had got of lightly, ie bent flybar and slightly damaged main blade (one). I didn't - two of the cyclic servos are damaged. These are standard Align DS510. I will replace the 3 cyclic servos. I guess I could get the Align DS530. Does anybody have any suggestions please ?
I have the original DS520 on the tail although I do have a new DS535 as a replacement for this when required.

Many thanks

Harford

Thanks. I have read that BK servos are a premium product and are expensive. I am not sure if I want to invest that amount of money in my old 500 ESP - I would like to keep it flightworthy though

Smoggie

The KST DS515MG servos are good servos. They are of course 'HV' so to get the most out of them you would also have to upgrade the tail servo to an HV type (e.g. KST DS565 ) then run them all on high voltage. Most good heli servos these days are HV.

Harford

Perhaps also to get the best out of them I would have to upgrade the ESC also. The std ESC on this heli operates on 4.8v to 6.0v.

Smoggie

Perhaps also to get the best out of them I would have to upgrade the ESC also. The std ESC on this heli operates on 4.8v to 6.0v.

Yes, or add an external BEC such as the Castle Creations 10A BEC..

All in all I guess that's a lot of upgrades but not an awful lot more than three cyclic servos.

Harford

I guess there comes a point when you have to decide if you just replace the heli with a new model (eg 500X) or continue to invest in a flybarred heli for which the original parts are increasingly hard to get. I have to say I am not keen on going too far down the update path, I just what to keep it airworthy. I do like the solid feel of the DFC helis I have -2 x beastx and 1 x 3GX (soon to become Spirit Pro tks to yr advice) but don't want to discard my flybarred heli. In any event, I appreciate your advice. Tks

Admiral

I have a similar problem, had the aileron server fail mid flight on the weekend, got it down OK but now up for a new set of servos, wanted to get Align DS525's but can't find stock in Australia at the moment and parts are hard to get as well as we have lost our main distributor. Have decided to go with KST DS515MG similar specs and appear to have reasonable spares available.

Harford

The KST DS515MG sounds like a good option. I stripped the gears in two of my cyclic DS510 servos. I have the upgrade option with all new KST servos plus an upgraded ESC or perhaps gear replacement is also an option if I don't want to go done the upgrade path. Does anybody know if gear replacement is something I should not consider ? I can get hold of replacement metal gears for the DS510 (they currently have the non metal version).

Smoggie

Replacement gears would be the most cost effective solution. They can be a bit fiddly to fit, just make careful note of what gear goes where as you strip them down, taking a photo of the gears before dismantling is not a bad idea.

Harford

Yes, excellent suggestion. Understand also that you should not overdo application of the servo grease.

Smoggie

I always put quite a bit of grease in. In high speed bearings over-greasing can cause the grease to overheat, liquefy and run away, but that's not an issue in servos.

Harford

I have been generous with the grease. All now converted to metal gears so now onwards with the head set up

Top Bottom