Micro Replacing a Nano Tail Boom

Microbus

Last night I broke the tail boom on my Nano after crashing into the wall. Today I put in a new tail boom, but the boom is round and the housing has a little notch at the top. When I spin her up the heli spins around on the floor because I don't have a flat part anchoring into the notch. What's the little trick that I don't know to make the rod fit into the notch? Seems like I could crimp it with a pair of pliers, but I don't want to learn by trial and error that you should never do that. lol

heli-maniac

i have not had to replace a boom on mine yet is it a notch or dose it have a flat spot the needs to be sanded in to the boom
as far as i know you and i are the only ones with a nano on here

Last edited:

Microbus

Probably sanding each side of the boom will work. The notch appears to be a place for the wires to go. The boom that I broke is perfectly round, but I never had any problem with it just spinning in the housing.

Microbus

I thought about using glue, but was afraid I wouldn't be able to remove the boom on the next break. I guess a little bit would be easy to remove...and might even help wedge in the next boom. I've decided sanding isn't good, because the boom would just be smaller. I'm gonna give the white glue a try and I'll report back once it's done.

heli-maniac

gluing it is how it was installed when it was built buy HH they just use some top secret glue
i guess my homemade tail braces do help the boom from braking i have it all kinds of stuff with mine

Microbus

I've got it glued and I think I can use glue to fix the broken tail, too. It didn't break in half it just kind of split. The glue will hold it tight and can be a backup.

Microbus

So far I'm getting no love from the glue. First time I tried it I don't think I used enough glue so I gave it another go. Second time I tried it I thought I used enough glue and I thought I waited long enough for it to dry, but I'm still experiencing the same problem. I just glued it again and I'm gonna let it sit overnight to ensure it dries completely. If this doesn't work I'm gonna super glue the damn thing and hope I don't break it again - which is really nothing more than an exercise in futility.

heli-maniac

let it set for at least 8 to 10 hours
i would not super glue it if you do break it again then you maybe replacing the frame as well

Microbus

I let it sit overnight and tried giving it a go before I left for work this morning. The glue is holding the tail boom in place, but I'm still having the same issue. When I throttle up the heli just piros on the floor. I didn't have time to do any investigating before I left so it will have to wait until I get home.

In order to get the pins back in the board I did unscrew the board from the frame so I had a little more room to work with, but that shouldn't have caused any more problems. I just pulled the board out, inserted the plug and reattached the board. I did make sure the tail rotor was on the proper way.

murankar

Staff member
The only issue with touching the board is static. All it takes is a shock lighter than you can feel to fry it. You can only touch the the board edges to ensure you do not shock the electronics.

I have an mcx that needs a new board for that very reason. I got careless with it and now it pyros on me when I spool up. The board is the same price as a new kit so I have not fixed it yet.

The only other issue I can think of is the rudder got plugged in backwards.

Microbus

I'm gonna be twisted if I plugged the motor in the wrong way! I did make sure to have it the correct way when I first tried to install the plug, but after I couldn't get it in and had to take the board off I forgot to recheck it. Thanks for the tip you guys, that'll be the first thing I check when I get home.

Microbus

You guys nailed it. Although, I made sure I had the plug the correct way when I first attempted to plug it in, I didn't recheck its orientation after I removed the board. When I got home it was backwards so I flipped it around. This time I used curve nosed pliers and I was able to install the plug without having to remove the board. She's up and flying and ready to die another day!

Thanks again for your help. I'm relieved to know I didn't fry the board and I'm pleased that I was able to fix it.

Top Bottom