Replaced The I7 Lappy Fan

Tony

Staff member
Because my wife was sleeping, I tried to do Sim Sunday on my lappy only. Well, that didn't turn out too well. For one, I wasn't feeling that good and I was sitting out in the kitchen at the table. Web cam wouldn't work and i couldn't use it even if I wanted to, it sucks that bad. But mainly because I had a window behind me that would have blown out the video. But that computer got hot as hell during that live stream.

At the time of the video, I had replaced the fan in this computer 3 times now. First one just quit, it was old. Second one again, just quit. Chinese crap. But that is all that is available.... The third one is the one pictured below. The fins on the fan are just slightly wider than stock. Maybe they think that moves more air.... It doesn't. It does require the installer modify the metal the fan mounts to though to allow clearance. When I replace this one, I will take some pictures of what I had to do and where it is still rubbing.

I did modify the metal again on this one, but I closed it down on the fan a little more, but still allowing clearance so it wouldn't hit.

Now to replace this fan, you have to completely tear this computer apart. Once you are to the fan and you think you can get it out, you realize you have to remove the motherboard as well. It's only a few screws and some ribbon cables, main power plug and the speaker on the front left and the SD card reader. Once that is done, then you can pry out the motherboard. Yes, "PRY OUT" because it sits in a little hole and you have to pull up on the right side as you are pulling out all of the plugs on the left side like Ethernet, dual headphone jacks (no clue why there are two lol) and mic as well as usb and some other parts. A complete pain.

Below you see the fan I took out. It is not even that dirty. The flash makes it look worse than it is. Fins in the cooler were not clogged, but it was not cooling. So as I was making clearance in the metal mounting plate for the new fan, I was blowing through the small cooler (there are two on this one, one small, one large. Small out the back, large out the side) I noticed the fan was spinning very easily. I spun the old fan and not so easy. And obviously massive vibration due to the two fins that are broke.

So with this in mind, I actually ordered a brand new cooler with fan for the next time. I know there is going to be a next time. There always is lol. But it comes with the cooler, heat pipes, fan, everything. and it is the genuine HP fan that came with a stock computer. I just want the metal piece that the fan mounts to. But the weird thing, I paid $3.00 less for the entire cooler than I did for just the knockoff fan lol.

Now, this computer stays around 50ºc which is acceptable and no more vibration. Talk about annoying...

IMG_1108.JPG

murankar

Staff member
Dude do you live in a dust bowel?. This is the second fan you posted that was just way to dirty. Time for regular dustings of the internals lol.

Tony

Staff member
That fan wasn't dirty at all that I took out of the computer. Not near as bad as the first one lol. But, I live out in the country on a gravel road right by a large field that gets plowed twice a year, we have very high winds here quite often and I like to open up my windows when I can.... So yea, I guess you can call it a dust bowl here lmao. The lights on top of my tank though, those pictures were the first time I had cleaned them ever and I purchased those back in 2012.

murankar

Staff member
Wow. That's a long time for fans.

So what's the deal with this fan? Just sucks or did a bearing seize?

Tony

Staff member
Well as you can see in the picture it was missing two blades lol. Basically turning this thing into a very good vibrating motor. With it on my lap, it was quite annoying, and very loud at high speed. And the grease also started to harden causing the fan to slow down.

murankar

Staff member
Then I guess its time for a new fan. Hopefully the right fan! I shop microcenter for a lot of pc parts. Check em out. Microcenter.com. They should have a fan that will work.

Not sure about newegg any more.

Tony

Staff member
Newegg does have them, but a third party from China is selling them. I have a new unit on the way that includes what I hope is the stock fan as well as the heat pipes and cooling block. Got all of that for less than the price of this fan I put in it lol.

Top Bottom