RCH Is Moving

Tony

Staff member
Hey everyone, I wanted to let you guys know RCH is moving to a new server. We have talked about doing this for a while now, I just couldn't find the right server to go with. Now I have found that server, it's based right here in the USA in Va., and should provide great speeds for everyone around the globe.

As most of you probably know, the site has been getting errors. From pages not loading, to database errors that told you the "Admin" has been notified. Well I have been notified, every time, over 2000 times in two months and enough is enough. It's time for the forum to grow, and we can't do that with the server we have.

The server has been purchased today and is being configured as I'm typing this message. Once it's configured, I will be moving all of the files over to it and changing some things to keep the site up and running. I will also have to change the Nameservers, and while that is happening, the site could go down but shouldn't. If it does, just know we will work to bring it back up as quickly as possible.

I want to thank everyone on this forum for being patient with these errors. Some of you were thinking it was a slow internet connection and it was not. Enough is enough and it's time for the forum to pay for a better server. And None of this would be possible if it wasn't for the great members here. For that I personally thank each and every one of you. We are not large by any means, but I think that keeps this forum more like a family than a community.

Thanks everyone. If you have any questions, you can always email me directly at admin@rc-help.com with any questions.

-Tony

RandyDSok

Typically when moving servers like this... propogation of the new server's IP address etc will take around up to 3 days but varies on where the user's primary DNS servers are and and how often their IP routing tables are updated. In short, most will see the update with almost no time delay and others will need to wait for up to 3 days. In very rare cases it can take a week or so, but happens seldom these days if your ISP is on top of things.

Tony

Staff member
Everything is ready to go right now. I have started the second backup of the current files (first one failed, go figure) and when it's done, I will have support to unzip the package and get everything put where it's supposed to go (cpanel to cpanel). Once that is done, I will change the nameservers over to point to the new server, and that part I have had take a while. No less than two hours from what I have experienced in the past. But once that is done, this site shouldn't have any more issues. But 2000 emails in two months is just unreal lol.

Tony

Staff member
Just to keep everyone in the loop, we are still on the same server. We shut the forum down to transfer everything, and not lose any posts in the process. Well the backup that was created by cpanel was botched and didn't save all of the information needed to move the forum (hence why I'm leaving the current host). I am in the process of starting new on the new server, backing up only the files we need, and moving everything tomorrow.

I want to thank you all for understanding, and sticking with us through this all. If it goes the way I think it will, the forum will be much faster with less errors if not no errors, but who can get that lucky lol.

If you have any questions, just let me know.

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
Hopefully we can get all of this done in the next couple of days. I think everyone will be pleased with the new server's performance. Stick with us here and we'll get 'er done! :D

Tony

Staff member
Just to keep everyone updated, here is the latest. I have switched the nameservers on another forum ( Database Error) to the new server for testing. AFCC is a less active forum thanks to the last owner, and is the perfect test bed to test out the new forum. If you want to help out in the testing, just click on the link and have a look around. If you notice anything wrong, just post it in the "AFCC Is Moving" thread in the news and announcements forum.

If everything goes great over there, I will be moving this site tomorrow for testing. Help us out guys so we can get this forum on a faster and better server ASAP!

Squizzy

Just to keep everyone updated, here is the latest. I have switched the nameservers on another forum ( Database Error) to the new server for testing. AFCC is a less active forum thanks to the last owner, and is the perfect test bed to test out the new forum. If you want to help out in the testing, just click on the link and have a look around. If you notice anything wrong, just post it in the "AFCC Is Moving" thread in the news and announcements forum.

If everything goes great over there, I will be moving this site tomorrow for testing. Help us out guys so we can get this forum on a faster and better server ASAP!

Sorry Mate but I cannot connect to the AFCC link. I may be too late perhaps.

Edit: I should say that I'm getting a "database error" message.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Really? I have been on there all morning. i will check into this

Edit: I checked and I have gotten no emails saying anything about a database error and I cleared my cache and I was still able to connect. I'm not sure what is going on but I will keep looking throughout the day.

Tony

Staff member
Squizzy, thank you very much for letting me know about that issue. The name servers had not moved to the new server yet when I was on there. I went in and found the issue with the forum, and out of the thousands of lines of code, I lost 1 letter that cause it all to shut down. If your interested, the letter was "p" lmao. But the forum is back up and running and I would greatly appreciate it if you all would head over there and let me know what you think about the speed, and if you see anything wrong.

Once that is done, we will be shutting down this forum, backing up the database, and moving it over there. The files are already there, we just need the updated DB. Once the name servers move, we will open this forum back up in it's new home.

Thanks for the help everyone!

RandyDSok

I'd also gotten the error when trying to go to the AFCC link sometime around noon-ish today before I was leaving for the flying field... just tried it again and no error. I didn't click through very many areas though, it's dinner time ... lol

Tony

Staff member
Yup, what happened was I tried to edit the config file within cpanel and not pulling it out, editing it in dreamweaver, and reuploading it. Because of that, it killed the P in two different spots in the names. but, it's fixed now and should be faster than ever. We are using AFCC to test everything before we move this forum over there since there is more activity on here than there is on there. I'm hoping some of you car guys will also join up on there and post some of your rides. Would also really like to see some "in progress" pics of a project. Hope to see you guys there.

Squizzy

Hey that was pretty quick. Pages just popped up instead of loading bit by bit - well done.

I had to register twice though which was a bit wierd but I may have caught you midway through doing something with the server.

Once I was in, it was all good.

Tony

Staff member
I will bet you registered, then we installed the database backup, and that kicked out your registration since it's all stored in the database. I do apologize about that, and we shouldn't have to do that again for a long while unless we have an update go bad. But I'm glad it's working well for you and everyone else that I have talked to. I responded to your post as well over there. Hope to see you on both forums more and more!

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
Hey that was pretty quick. Pages just popped up instead of loading bit by bit - well done.

I had to register twice though which was a bit wierd but I may have caught you midway through doing something with the server.

That's great to hear! Even in Australia it is "popping" for you. That makes me very happy :D I'm sure Tony is a little excited about it as well :)

Paulster2

I am El Taco!

That's great to hear! Even in Australia it is "popping" for you. That makes me very happy :biggrin1: I'm sure Tony is a little excited about it as well :)

Tony

Staff member
This post is to let everyone know we will be moving RCH to the new server either tomorrow or Tuesday if everything goes well. We are still testing the server with AFCC and so far, I have heard nothing but good things from it. Lets just hope things go as smooth with this forum as they are with the AFCC.

So this is just a heads up. Unlike AFCC, we will be closing this forum so no new posts can be made, and no one will lose everything. this could take a few hours because we have to point the domain name over to the new server as well. And that takes a while to finish once started. But once it's done, it's done.

If you have any questions or suggestions, just post them up.

Tony

Staff member
Thanks bud. I'm still working on the look, and I will have it a lot better than this if I can get my desktop to stop throwing a BSOD lol. I think it's on it's last leg, and everything I have done so far, has been on my lappy. I'm thinking about purchasing an i7 lappy to take over everything, but I'm not sure it will be enough. If you have any suggestions or see something you don't like, just let me know.

Top Bottom