Projects RCH Edge 540 I was tempted and gave in!

Tony

Staff member
Very colorful. Seems you all can build them faster than I can lmao. Although I'm having to build mine over again. Just finished gluing it together a few hours ago. Now, I'm working on a scheme for it.... Not sure if that is going to go well...

Post a maiden video!

Gerald

What in the hell is a "Bumbaclad"?

Well I have no idea?

Sounds Jamaican, A friend at work saw the plane and said it looks Jamaican! That was not the intent! I wanted very differnt colors top and bottom and I used what I currently have the most of in my packing tape supply.....Green and Yellow! I have purple and pink too but good heavens I can't bring myself to fly a pink plane! Well may be for a charity event like breast cancer awarness but not just to fly!

- - - Updated - - -

Where the heck is the CG on this bird?

Tony

Staff member
CoG will depend on what you want to do with it. Sport flying, set it to about 33% chord. 3D flying, almost 50% chord. I set mine right where the KFM drops on the top of the wing. I'm going to try a little farther back on this new plane and see if I can get it more stable below stall speeds.

Tony

Staff member
Ah, yeah I don't speak any of that lmao. Don't have many of those guys around here lol.

Derek

Ok....I want landing gear on mine now. Gerald....can you show some good pics, or maybe a video, of the materials that you used and how you attached them to the plane? Thanks buddy!

Gerald

Ok so Derek the landing gear is made from 3/32 piano wire following this pattern. The red lines show the alteration that allow the strap to fit over. So follow the red lines.
View attachment 12694

You just bend the wire to match the pattern and you can make it taller or shorter as needed, I'll try to do a video.
Then figure out approx. where the back of the LG will set, make a small hole for the wire in the fuse and snake it thru, I hot glued popsicle sticks to be a backer for the wire against the horizontal fuse plate and then as you can see from the pictures, I secured the wire with plastic LG straps and servo screws into the popsicle sticks and added the tires.

EyeStation, The motor mount is actually the one from Dereks bi-plane pattern, which sadly is no longer in my fleet due to an over applying of the earth brakes :)

I just used his pattern and modified the cut out area of the Edges nose to fit it in I use 3/16" hobby ply-wood, You can sort of see by the picture I added some down thrust.

View attachment 12695

View attachment 12696

Hope that helps guys

Flew it today video coming soon!

Tony

Staff member
Where's the video? There is supposed to be video!! Is the video uploaded yet? How about now? Now? :twitch:

Gerald

Re: RCH Edge 540 I was tempted and gave in! VIDEO

Ok here is the maiden flight video! I did not do the maiden, I opted to have an experienced pilot test it!

Tom Duffy did the Maiden at the YARCC air field, Tom is the president of the club and just a super nice guy!
He runs up and down the flight line fixing, adjusting, testing and what ever else he can do to make it a great experience for every one!
OH and he can fly very well!

The video is short but he manages a flat spin, snap roll and a prop hang in just a minute or so!

[video=youtube_share;8z4Zp-U0a7g]http://youtu.be/8z4Zp-U0a7g[/video]​

Top Bottom